Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Superannuation was introduced so that people could be self sufficient and not rely on the government. Im sure the disabled would still be looked after but I am sure there will be way tighter regulations and rules for gaining access to an aged pension that what exist now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Takes all kinds to run this world..

I wanted to stay home forever too!! but we separated so work it was!

I dont think its selfish to want to stay home and volunteer or keep busy.. I guess sitting in the garden all day just sounds like utopia, not real life lol.

Can you start thinking honestly how to get the life you want and lessen the burden for your dh?

Like could you work in the school canteen or uniform shop? small hours?
    Its all compromise I guess.

I work 4.30 am and finish early so I get time to lie in the garden or play in the pool....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sounds like you have a good plan OP I do apologise for previous responses. I do think it was a case of a slip up in wording in the original post. The thought of work while raising kids can be overwhelming for sure!

unfortunately yes superannuation was introduced to lessen the 'burden' on public funds by making people pay for their own retirement. The old age pension will not exist in future, perhaps even for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Superannuation was introduced so that people could be self sufficient and not rely on the government. Im sure the disabled would still be looked after but I am sure there will be way tighter regulations and rules for gaining access to an aged pension that what exist now.
    Yep they're going to say 'oh, you're starving,homeless and too old to work? tough titties, should've saved for your retirement silly billy', then leave them to rot.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and sahm

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Yep, of course we'll always take care of our needy but look into it, they're not going to just be granting everyone aged pensions when our generation hit 65. It's fact. Plus the aged pension is really meager - we'll need our own super/savings to live off. Thanks to modern medicine we're all living longer. Men typically die first so I think it's important women make sure we have enough to live off in our old age.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and sahm

OP the problem isn't SAHM vs working mums and their contribution to the household and society. The issue is that your DH doesn't agree with what you want to do. Relationships are about compromise from both sides so you both need to sit down and have a long chat about what will work for your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    SAHM's are just as important as working mums.. but I do have to admit, the work dries up when they go to school.. You honestly will have not much to do.. Unless you help out at school and manage a sports team or 2...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and sahm

Personally I think the idea of volunteering bares examination. You could argue its just a way society exploits the free labour of women which comes with no security, super, etc. I think it's a disgrace Australia's premier breastfeeding support organisation is staffed by volunteers.

*whistles*

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (13-01-2013),ToonZie  (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Work and sahm

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I just worry about being out of the work force in the long term. Some of my Mum's friends are in their 60s and feeling a bit lost now the kids are grown up and their husbands have either divorced them or died and they don't have much to do, and have no financial independence.

I also want to set an example for my daughter. show her that women can have career success and financial independence. i think why do we bother educating our girls if we then just expect them to give up their jobs once they have kids.

OP you might just be feeling a bit scared to get back into the workforce after having a break from it. Maybe start working just a couple of days a week?
    I don't think it's about expecting them to give up anything, more about giving them the freedom to have child bearing be a valid choice. Rather than something that is looked down upon as lazy and or selfish. I don't think I have a preference either way with my DD, I just want her to feel happy and fulfilled, how she makes her way there is entirely up to her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work and sahm

When I stopped working I had a few supers, i put them all in one and dh started putting money into mine, he puts $25 a week, it's not much but he puts a lot in his.
    We also have an investment, recently sold another (to pay for renos) We're both in construction so he's big on owning property and investing in it.
    We have life insurance aswell, with all our commitments we had to be safe, I'd be screwed if something happened to him!

Yes pp I did make it sound like I wanted to sit in the garden all day, I mean I do! Lol But of course I couldn't. If you knew me you need to know my sarcasm and my personality, but how you talk on an Internet forum is different I guess.

And yep I think people assuming what my husband wants by my opening post is assuming too much, you don't know him or what he wants. When the time comes we will talk seriously about and look at the pros cons and what we both want because things change. In the end he'll want what I want.
    Happy wife, happy Life

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (13-01-2013)

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast