+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby carriers and traveling.

I'm going overseas in April, my daughter will be 4.5 months at the time. I'm looking for recommendations on baby carriers in terms of ease of putting them on and comfort over a long period of time. Can they be worn for several hours at a time?

Also if anyone had any helpful hints about traveling with an infant it would be greatly appreciated! We're going to Vegas, New York and Hawaii, so there will be lots of plane travel

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I highly recommend the Ergo. We also have a Beco Gemini. I'm thinking of taking both but if only one will take the Ergo as its comfier for longer periods.

We are flying to Denver in three weeks with our six month old DS so also keen for tips. He is bottle fed so taking the bottles, formula, nappies as hand luggage is going to be hard enough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also recommend the ergo esp if your baby has good neck control and you no longer need the infant insert. That way, you can use the ergo in different positions which comes in handy for long periods... We used it for our DD when we went t Asia but she was 12months so older - we used the ergo front and back and side positions.... Very handy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think I have posted this many times, but my recommendation is to go and try some on, what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. I went with the manduca over the ergo after trying them both on with my baby as it just sits better on me and my baby seemed more comfortable in the manduca. I can wear it for hours.
    I haven't travelled with a baby so no advice, but have fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Just came back from OS with our 8 month old and used a manducca carrier. Was fantastic and she was in there for a few hours at a time and slept through customs

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a Mei Tai style carrier that ties up instead of using buckles.

The great thing about it is its quick and easy to swap between DH and I without the need for adjusting straps etc.

Also extremely comfortable and can be worn for extended time even with a heavy 14month old!

Are you able to borrow a couple of different types from anyone? I think trying these sorts of things is the best way to know what suits you best.

I know of a site that does trial bundles where you get 4 different carriers to try and then only pay a bit more to keep one.

strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews

I recently travelled to Malta, Spain and Ireland with my then 3 month old dd. we used a boba 3g and loved it. we had an ergo and beco Gemini previous to the boba and didn't like either of them. apparently the Tula is awesome too. If you can try on some at a sling meet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    I have a Mei Tai style carrier that ties up instead of using buckles.

The great thing about it is its quick and easy to swap between DH and I without the need for adjusting straps etc.

Also extremely comfortable and can be worn for extended time even with a heavy 14month old!

Are you able to borrow a couple of different types from anyone? I think trying these sorts of things is the best way to know what suits you best.

I know of a site that does trial bundles where you get 4 different carriers to try and then only pay a bit more to keep one.
    What's the site called? It might be my better option! I have lower back problems so I really think trialling is the best option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst the soft structured carriers can be excellent i would also recommend a woven wrap and or a sling.
    Esp the sling, as they are very easy to take on off, are very comfortable for both you and bub, and when you take it off it can fold small enough to fit in your handbag. They are also adjustable so can be used by you and someone else of a different size and the tail can easily be used as a breastfeeding cover.

And they are very beautiful coming in a range of fabrics and styles. I recommend looking at the babywearer.com , also look on etsy.com and type ring slings into the search bar. Their are also groups on facebook that could be helpfull.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I travelled with an ergo and thought it was great. I do however agree with other posters and think you should try some out for yourself.

I found the ergo was great for airport transfers etc where the pram needed to be checked in and there was a bit of a wait at the gate. Bub could sleep in the carrier until take off.

Other tips for travelling with bubbas.....

International flight you should have the bulkhead for a bassinet attachment. Can't say that either of my babies slept in the bassinet, however it was great using it as storage or even just having the extra legroom.

Remember you are usually called to board before the general public, along with business class at the same time. I would say make sure you get ready anf get settled on the plane as soon as you can. Pop your hand luggage above your seats and remember you will most likely be using it often during the flight. We travelled with a bag of food, books and toys for the kids, and a nappy bag plus our own stuff.

TBH just use a small nappy change mat thingo rather than bringing nappy bag on board, if you can.

Remember to pack enough nappies for a couple of changes after the flight too, and some spare clothes in case of chucks or your luggage getting lost.

If BFing remember that suckling for take off and landing help with ear pain for equalising pressure. Otherwise use a dummy or bottle if FF. I travelled with BF tops on plane as I found my bubs would sleep on me with a boob in their mouth almost the whole flight!

Pack a couple of books which your bub likes to look at or feel. Other toys/distractions for that age were stickers on his hand and he took ages looking at it and trying to peel it off. Also enjoyed looking at the safety card in the seat pockets. Playing with the tv remote as well.
    pack some party blowers and use them on the plane to amuse - maybe don't blow so much they make a noise! I had a couple of baby apps on my phone that he liked to play with, so I made sure to set it to plane mode before take off.
    I found the younger they were, the more they slept on a plane.

HTH

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (13-01-2013)