+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Don't be scared When you have baby ask for the lactation consultant to come visit you if it hurts too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Confused

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Oh I definitely plan on giving it a shot, at the moment I'm not fussed if I have to switch to formula if it doesn't work out but I do want to try. I just can't figure out why I'm so scared. Feeding in public does worry, but not because of people staring, more because I just don't think I could see myself whipping out a boob with people around lol, the thought even in my own home is kind of weird. (This will be my first so it's probably more that I just can't see myself doing it at all). Maybe I'm scared because I hear the early days are painful?
    They aren't always, dd latched straight away with no issues and my nipples never got painful. It's just that people don't really post about their good experiences, iykwim?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Confused

I wish they would! I would love to hear stories like that! It seems like everyone who every breast fed had trouble, me included.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Confused

I'd love to hear positive stories too!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused

I did the aba course and went to see the lad consultant at our local parents and babies unit when ds was three days old. Apart from some tiny issues and having to use an nipple shield until he grew a little bigger, my experience has been pretty easy. 14.5 months and still going strong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Confused

Maybe we should start a thread
    Just incase anyone else has worries like you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Breast feeding is like riding a bike - some master it, some don't, some fear failing and some revel in the glory of it all.

if you can't or don't want to breast feed, then there are other alternatives - none of which is quite like riding a bike but suits many people just as well.

Both bike riding and breast feeding does take work to master, and there can be a few grazes and bumps along the way.

Muscles can ache a bit at the start, position does matter and sometime people need training wheels or a bit of help to get their balance quite right.

The problem is that in both cases bike riding and breast feeding are not seen enough within families or in the general public for it to seem as natural and normal and as enjoyable as they both truly are.

Breast feeding, like bike riding is a journey just like that old song about that bicycle built for two.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (20-01-2013)

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Maybe we should start a thread
    Just incase anyone else has worries like you
    That sounds like a good idea, shall I do the honors? ^___^

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't terrified, but I was a little anxious that it would work and I wouldn't end up with mastitis/pain/etc as I'd seen my SIL go through all that with her 2 kids. I was determined to give it a go.

I've never had mastitis, never been badly bitten, never had bleeding nipples or anything that serious really. And I've BF my ds til 12 months and my dd is still going at 15.5 months. I think positive stories help

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused

OP it is common to have a bit of pain at the start, you're right. But I recently learned myself its not always like that!

I had pain for first 2 weeks just when DS originally latched on, the awful sensation actually made my toes curl.

I thought everyone experienced this, but a friend has just had a baby and so far has not had any pain whatsoever with feeding so really it's different for everyone, don't read too much and get yourself worked up. You may be lucky and be an absolute pro.

I have every intention of feeding this bub on the way to by the way. So even though I had pain with DS1 at the start, it's not enough to put me off the next time. B/f is awesome once you find your rhythm.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (20-01-2013)