+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default child support question

This is a strange confusing question.

Once your child has reached over 16? Is that when child support is stop being paid? Can your child file for the repayments afterwards when they are no longer in there care even say if they are an adult? If the adult hasn't been paying for all these years (because he was jobless).

Say the parent has just received a huge payout kinda thing..

Sorry if this makes no sense

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't understand :-/

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    This is a strange confusing question.

Once your child has reached over 16? Is that when child support is stop being paid? Can your child file for the repayments afterwards when they are no longer in there care even say if they are an adult? If the adult hasn't been paying for all these years (because he was jobless).

Say the parent has just received a huge payout kinda thing..

Sorry if this makes no sense
    Not quite sure, do you mean can they apply for a back payment after the parent finds a job? If so the no they cannot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You mean like a back-payment?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP's dad never paid child support while he was growing up. Now he has inherited a lot of money. He was wondering if he could somehow get any of that money? His mum doesn't care about it because child support leaves men with no lives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlpreston View Post
    Not quite sure, do you mean can they apply for a back payment after the parent finds a job? If so the no they cannot.
    Yeah I don't think so either. My ex was in between jobs for a few weeks last year, so his payment amount went down during that time. He doesn't have to pay extra to cover for that time, the amount just went back up once he resumed work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay thank you I was just asking for DP as he is very angry he has never recieved anything or help and angry for his mum but she doesn't care.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP's dad never paid child support while he was growing up. Now he has inherited a lot of money. He was wondering if he could somehow get any of that money? His mum doesn't care about it because child support leaves men with no lives
    I don't think he would automatically be entitled to it. It doesn't work like that.

When I was growing up, my dad didn't pay child support, but he paid $20,000 per year for mine and my sister's private school education. He argued that this WAS child support, but I argue that it wasn't as it didn't help mum raise us (we could have gotten a free education at a state school). I can't just go to dad now and say that he owes me 'child support' for all those years. As it turned out he did help me out financially with my house purchase, but that's nothing to do with child support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did he owe the mum child support and never payed it? I'm sure she could get that now.
    If not maybe get your dp to speak to a solicitor, I guess he can sue his dad since he never supported him growing up but can now afford to. I don't see why not, just because he's an adult he's still his son. The question is do you want to go down that road, it may cost you more than you get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay thank you I was just asking for DP as he is very angry he has never recieved anything or help and angry for his mum but she doesn't care.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section
    Has he tried asking? My dad is hopeless at giving money out (he's wealthy), but if we ask, he just hands it over I hate asking but there have been a few times when I've been in a bit of a pickle and I had to suck it up and ask, even though it was awkward.