+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    There was an article about some crack pot steiner teacher telling a student he had to repeat prep because his soul had not yet united with his body?!

But I dont like steiner because they ban computers

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Yep - I've read that!

And the fruitcakery carries over into the education. Steiner kids aren't taught to read until age seven — that's when, according to Steiner, a child acquires its etheric body — again, no evidence for this is provided; Steiner said it, and acolytes believe it. One parent in Australia was told his child would be held back for an unusual reason.
    "She thought his soul wasn't fully incarnated yet, which was strange thing for me to hear at a parent-teacher interview," he said.

"And then she pulled out some drawings that he'd done which showed him, I guess, looking down, like a plan view of what he was drawing.

"And she used this as evidence that his soul was hovering over the earth and looking down on the earth and so, therefore, she felt that he wasn't quite ready to move into the following year."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    We had 4 classes of kindy last year! Some of them where from another local kindy though, not exactly sure why something to do with overflow I think and we had the classrooms?

Access is done by priority sort of like how day care spots are allocated.

I'm not 100% sure what they are but something like

Within catchment with sibling already at school.

Within catchment.

Outside of catchment with sibling at school.

Outside of catchment.

Maybe?? I know we were told if we moved outside of the catchment we would still have priority because DS1 went last year.
    We have 5 kindergarten classes this year (NSW). When our numbers start to climb we automatically accept students in our zone, then those out of zone but with siblings and then out of zone is at the bottom of the list. We accept many out of zone students as our zone is in the centre of town with not a huge amount of young families.

In the Catholic school here this year there are 3 classes with 32 each for kindy. Waaaaaaay too many little people starting big school altogether. They fit into 3 classes the amount of kids we do in 5 classes. Those early years are so vital I'm glad my DS will be in a class of no more than 20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I would say the main difference is funding. Catholic schools have more funding
    Where did you get that idea? Funding is the same or better at state schools here in WA.
    You can get numbers from http://www.myschool.edu.au .

Comparing my local Catholic and state primary schools, the state school has 30% more income per student. ($10k vs $7.5k) They are similar size, similar socio-economic mix (above average). School fees are only 20% of the catholic school funding. They get a lot of federal money.

Local high schools are $12k/student for both. Going a bit further is a catholic high school with $17k/student income, but the fees are steep. There is also a state school with $15k/student - I suspect they get extra government funding for special programs - a poorer area. You do _not_ want to send your kids to the state school with the highest funding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtoe View Post
    Where did you get that idea? Funding is the same or better at state schools here in WA.
    You can get numbers from http://www.myschool.edu.au .

Comparing my local Catholic and state primary schools, the state school has 30% more income per student. ($10k vs $7.5k) They are similar size, similar socio-economic mix (above average). School fees are only 20% of the catholic school funding. They get a lot of federal money.

Local high schools are $12k/student for both. Going a bit further is a catholic high school with $17k/student income, but the fees are steep. There is also a state school with $15k/student - I suspect they get extra government funding for special programs - a poorer area. You do _not_ want to send your kids to the state school with the highest funding
    That is quite interesting! Our local primary schools get 10-11k per student, however the school they go to is Pre-K- 12 and its 9k per student. But I wonder if the 1/2 day per week pre-k kids are included in the average as its only 1k.year and that gets no govt funding

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interestingly, if you look at the breakdown of finances there are 'deductions' on the private school ones, for capital works, and future capital works, and any loan payments, so the K-12 school I mentioned actually averages 12k+ per student

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also didnt realise that public schools receive their funds mostly from the state, but private get most of their funds from the federal government

Thanks
    Reviews

FWIW the WA league tables (for graduating yr 12 students) were published in a lift out in last Saturdays West Australian newspaper. Top 50 schools were dominated by single sex private schools - all religious but not all Catholic.

#1 was a co-ed public school which is academic select so no surprises there (I.e. have to be in gifted and talented program to attend the high school, students are selected from extension programs statewide)

The rest of top 10 were private, highest Catholic was #12

That was only for academic results, I didn't look at the vocational results section.

Thanks
    Reviews

As for me, I'm a practicing Catholic so our children will attend a Catholic school. Our faith is an integral part of our lives so we would send our children to a school which also incorporates faith into school life.

Our local Catholic primary school (inner metropolitan area) is full each year with students who are all Catholic and members of the local parish and have a letter from the parish priest to support this. There are several other schools around here in a similar situation so a child who was baptised but was not known to a priest in their parish wouldn't be considered a priority (e.g. Through regular mass attendance or parents involved in parish activities).

Thanks
    Reviews
    do you know if they publish that online? i wouldnt mind having a squiz, but i forgot to buy it

Thanks
    Reviews
    The league tables are of little real use.
    All it shows is that the schools with the smartest kids get the best scores. (But they were smart before they started at the school.)
    The firgues at the myschool website attempt to control for this by comparing schools with similar parental socioeconomic status.