+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's interesting to see people's priorities when it comes to education.

Can't say that sex ed and sports stars are at the top of my priority list for my children's education.
    I think when it comes to highschool, say my son isn't very academic and is more interested in a trade and is big on sports, I'd send him to the local public highschool. It's massive, has a lot of sporting ovals and school sports outside of school, has it's own pool etc. and it does tafe subjects also so he can do his trade while finishing vce. Catholic private schools close by (none really close he'd have to travel abit) but where dh went the school grounds are smaller, there is no big focus on sports or art, but has a big focus science and computers.
    Sex Ed doesn't matter to me at all.

My kids are going to public primary, but when it comes to highschool at the end of the day my kids will also get a say in where they want to go same way I did. I'm sure I will hear from them and other parents which schools are good and which aren't, especially parents who have kids that go there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

My DD1 is starting at the local catholic school in a few weeks. Being catholic the choice was obvious for us however the school has a great reputation, is very well looked after and has great facilities. It is also a smallish school compared to the public schools in the same area.

As for class sizes yes her kindy class will have 28-30 children they also will have their teacher plus a full-time teachers aide.

S€x education is not something im concerned about, i don't think as parents we should rely on anyone else to teach our children about this anyway whether it be public, private or catholic school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post

To baptise your child only for the sake of attending a catholic school is really very silly, as this is not a prerequisite to get in! At the catholic school DD attended 37% of children were not only not baptised, but were of different religions.

The Catholic high school I went to brought in a rule that you must have attended a Catholic primary school to enroll. There was a massive jump in the number of students at the primary schools, so now you must be baptized to attend. Some of them are stricter about it than others - the child needs be to have been baptized at birth or in that particular parish.

As for what is better, I think it depends entirely on the school and the student.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think that there is much difference in our area between the local public school and the local small catholic primary school. Class sizes are huge either way.

But the Catholic high schools around here are far superior to the local public high schools. Better facilities, smaller classes, better academic performance

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    The Catholic high school I went to brought in a rule that you must have attended a Catholic primary school to enroll. There was a massive jump in the number of students at the primary schools, so now you must be baptized to attend. Some of them are stricter about it than others - the child needs be to have been baptized at birth or in that particular parish.

As for what is better, I think it depends entirely on the school and the student.
    Yes, same as the high school I went, thats because they get so many entries its easier to cut the list down that way.
    I wrote that past tense because we moved DD's old school is still well over 30% different religions. Maybe it depends on state, in Vic you don't have to have your child baptised to attend catholic school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    Yes, same as the high school I went, thats because they get so many entries its easier to cut the list down that way.
    I wrote that past tense because we moved DD's old school is still well over 30% different religions. Maybe it depends on state, in Vic you don't have to have your child baptised to attend catholic school.
    The town I was referring to is in Vic. Looks like its being done on an area by area/school by school basis. We've only got the one Catholic high school & demand has always been high for places.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can't believe they cram that many children into classes! Our local primary school (has just become independent this year) has 20chn per kindy class with a teacher and a TA and the preprimary has 25 with a teacher and TA, not sure on years 1+ though. It's cost me per child about $300 in fees, supplies & uniforms (and that's an over estimate) brand new school with state of the art facilities with no religion being jammed down their throats, saying that because I attended a private school for year 7 and it was freaking torture!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I can't believe they cram that many children into classes! Our local primary school (has just become independent this year) has 20chn per kindy class with a teacher and a TA and the preprimary has 25 with a teacher and TA, not sure on years 1+ though. It's cost me per child about $300 in fees, supplies & uniforms (and that's an over estimate) brand new school with state of the art facilities with no religion being jammed down their throats, saying that because I attended a private school for year 7 and it was freaking torture!
    I know what school your talking about but unfortunately where we bought we miss out on that school. Our public primary school is the bigger one and the size of the school and classroom sizes put us off and our children have ended up at the Uniting school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Wow! Glad I live in nsw where class sizes in public schools are restricted for certain year groups.

My children will go to public school. Most of my local friends are sending their kids to small catholic schools. The class size in those schools is 32. Way too many for the first years of school.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Wow! Glad I live in nsw where class sizes in public schools are restricted for certain year groups.

My children will go to public school. Most of my local friends are sending their kids to small catholic schools. The class size in those schools is 32. Way too many for the first years of school.
    Yes I have been reading through this and wandered why there were so many children in some of these kindergarten classes, I didn't realise until reading this thread that other states don't have smaller cut off sizes for there classes like nsw does, my sons school has a cut off for 20 per class,this is in nsw
    Last edited by millsmum; 12-01-2013 at 19:08.