+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

I am very anti catholic so would never consider a Catholic school and I would never, ever christen or baptise a child of mine to a church I didn't belong to. I think it is very morally wrong.

My children attend an Uniting Church school but we told them at our initial interview we were not religious but wanted our children educated with the morals and values of their school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It's interesting to see people's priorities when it comes to education.

Can't say that sex ed and sports stars are at the top of my priority list for my children's education.
    I agree sex ed isn't that much of a priority, but a sport development programs could be very important depending on your child's ability and passion. Not all kids futures lie in academia. For me high school in particular is about starting to fine tune the skills for your adult life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    Not a priority and I don't think anyone is saying it is. I am looking for a whole package when it comes to a school for DS
    But then why say the school has Olympic stars?

I don't think anybody can know 100% if a school is right for their child unless your child has been there.

People are quick to judge. The school I work at has the worst reputation because of the area, the way the children behave outside of school, but it is a fantastic school with excellent teachers. So many people are surprised when they visit how great the school is and we always get compliments on school excursion.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yep independent schools.
    I have never heard of an independent school. Hmm. Although now I think of it we have a boarding school in town that has a selection based enrolment.. I guess that they would qualify as Independant?

I went to catholic school all the way to year 9 and I hated it. The other kids were terrible my grades were terrible and the teachers were crap. In year 10 I was sent to a public school and my grades picked up instantly, I had more friends than I ever thought possible and the teachers were amazing. Always happy to help. I would never recommend private over public. My kids go to a smallish public school and I am very happy with it. It's fantastic.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think anybody can know 100% if a school is right for their child unless your child has been there.

People are quick to judge. The school I work at has the worst reputation because of the area, the way the children behave outside of school, but it is a fantastic school with excellent teachers. So many people are surprised when they visit how great the school is and we always get compliments on school excursion.
    This sounds like the high school I attended and my mother taught at for 35 years. Such a horrible reputation but had amazing people come out of. We have had sport stars, entrepreneurs, CEOs. But my favourite, kids leaving in year 10 working their asses off in apprenticeships and starting their own successful businesses.

Thanks
    Reviews

I am not judging any school, I know that there are equally amazing public schools as private schools as I have stated several times previously
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 12-01-2013 at 12:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't claim to know a lot about the way the school system is set up, but I just don't like the way schools are defined by their religious status - to me, religion should be taught as part of a 'general studies/history' subject in the curriculum (all religions) but the way we define our schools by their religious status is wrong and promotes segregation in the community.

People in this thread claim catholic schools aren't really that catholic anymore so why define them as such? I went to an Anglican private school - it was hardly religious, we did one subject a week in 'divinity' and the occasional assembly in a church. I had no idea what that had to do with education, for us it was just a bludge session, totally pointless and also unfair to make all students attend a church when we didn't ordinarily. That's something you do with your family if you choose to(?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I would say the main difference is funding. Catholic schools have more funding so are able to offer more, have smaller classes etc.

Because they are able to, of course does not mean they all do, not only does it depend on area it depends on the principal.

Catholic schools also do not have to accept all entries, public schools of course need to so that also creates a difference.

To baptise your child only for the sake of attending a catholic school is really very silly, as this is not a prerequisite to get in! At the catholic school DD attended 37% of children were not only not baptised, but were of different religions.

When I was in (catholic) high school (in the 90's) we had very extensive s3x ed classes, our teacher even did some separate boy/girl classes so we would feel more comfortable, or we could anonymously write our questions and pop them in a box. So I think it's very odd that they would now not do a s3x ed program.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    I dont think ive ever seen any. Not here anyway!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    There are quite a few non religious private schools in Melbourne. I went to one for all my schooling, kinder-yr12. I loved it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    I was taught fully about sex Ed in year 8 at catholic college the only thing they skipped was abortion. Also a girl in mothers group, her husband teaches sex Ed at a catholic high school. That's weird that it's different on different schools
    Yr 8 is too late to be teaching sex Ed in my opinion. Also skipping abortion is cutting out important information.
    My school (private non religious) taught us this stuff in yr 6 if I'm remembering accurately.