+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    While I will be sending DS to catholic school I do agree the way the teach s$x education is ridiculous. My sister is 17 and beginning her final year of school where DS will be going and the only thing they were told about s$x was to abstain. There was nothing about birth control, stds, nothing. We will be having many many many open discussions with DS about the topic so it wont effect him but its still a very old fashioned naïve way to go about s$x education.
    This is what I have a problem with. Kids need to be informed and educated about these things. Granted they can still go on and make bad choices but at least they are informed choices!!!

I should also preface this by saying I am a very proud public educator!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Toomanyboys  (12-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    I know that where I live the Catholic schools have kinder classes with 30-32 kids in each. For me personally I would never send my child to the catholic schools here because of the fact that they refuse to teach any kind of s3x ed to older kids. A friend of mine teaches at the catholic school and has told me how the older teachers tell the students they don't need to know about s3x because they won't be having s3x before marriage which is a incredibly naive attitude to have.
    Thankfully not all catholic schools are like that. DP and I are both products of catholic schooling and both our schools provided pretty comprehensive sexual education. Especially in the senior years when quite open discussions were held.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (12-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

It also confuses me how non-religious families want to send their children to Catholic schools and have them sit through Mass. If its not something you do routinely with your family then why have your child do it at school?

That JMO!
    I'm sending my DD there because it is a better school, maybe not in some areas but where I live it is better. They hardly do mass or religious education anymore obviously it creeps in and also things like communion are optional and are done outside school hours so it's not a focus anymore. They have to be flexible these days as they would hardly have any students if they all had to be hardcore Catholics.
    I can only speak about my area and the schools I know, it's probably a different case in different areas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I know that where I live the Catholic schools have kinder classes with 30-32 kids in each. For me personally I would never send my child to the catholic schools here because of the fact that they refuse to teach any kind of s3x ed to older kids. A friend of mine teaches at the catholic school and has told me how the older teachers tell the students they don't need to know about s3x because they won't be having s3x before marriage which is a incredibly naive attitude to have.

It also confuses me how non-religious families want to send their children to Catholic schools and have them sit through Mass. If its not something you do routinely with your family then why have your child do it at school?

That JMO!
    I was taught fully about sex Ed in year 8 at catholic college the only thing they skipped was abortion. Also a girl in mothers group, her husband teaches sex Ed at a catholic high school. That's weird that it's different on different schools

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What is better about Catholic schools?

Regarding sex ed (I was educated in the public system), I found open and honest communication with my Mum (we didn't talk to Dad about this stuff) and my siblings to be the best way to arm me with the information that I needed. Even the public system, which gives you all the info on sti's, contraception methods and reproduction still doesn't teach you how to make a proper decision based on when you're ready for sex and they never could. Sex readiness is NOT a one-size-fits-all and realisitically sex ed isn't on my priorities list when choosing the education of my children. Regardless of how in depth the school is, I will still be making it an ongoing conversation with my children at home.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

It's interesting to see people's priorities when it comes to education.

Can't say that sex ed and sports stars are at the top of my priority list for my children's education.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Can't say that sex ed and sports stars are at the top of my priority list for my children's education.
    Nor mine. I was the kid that played 4 sports at once and was in every representative side, even then school based sports weren't of interest to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly it depends on the school. I think a lot of people like to have it as a back up if the public school you are in the catchment for isn't so good. I guess it's generally the cheapest private option, and most areas have a nearby catholic school.

It's a funny phenomenon, but I know so many people who baptise their child for the primary reason of having access to catholic schooling. It's a discussion DP and I are having at the moment, he doesn't see it as hypocrital like I do as neither of us are practicing Catholics anymore (I'd go as far as to consider myself an atheist). He justifies it by saying it's part of our heritage.

The best school is the one that suits your individual child be that public or private.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (12-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Not a priority and I don't think anyone is saying it is. I am looking for a whole package when it comes to a school for DS

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    Not a priority and I don't think anyone is saying it is. I am looking for a whole package when it comes to a school for DS
    I agree with this although I do think that the way a school.approaches sex is actually important. IMO it reflects their overall vision on how this topic is managed throughout the critical adolescent years. Not just in sex ed classes but at all times. I want a progressive school that can handle these conversations. Not one that ignores pregnancy, sex, abortion, homosexuality and suicide because these aren't just topics in sex ed or social studies but real life events that kids can face.