+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

My DD is still a long way off school age, but seeing the type of parents at my nephews private catholic school as opposed to the type of parents that are at the local public schools makes me definitely choose private. They are cleaner families and much more respectable. Children pick up a lot (development wise) from peer children.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What is better about Catholic schools?

The answer is a massive "it depends". All schools vary.so much depending on so many factors. Check out the published year 12 results just to get a picture.

In terms of teaching, 20+ years ago, i remember having open and frank conversations in class about abortion and suicide and all the taboo topics at my Catholic school whereas a friend who went to a school just 20 minutes away had a very conservative experience. The Catholic schools near us are equally as open and we'll look at those as well as the public schools when DS1 needs to be enrolled.

As others have said, it is easier to get into a Catholic high school if you go Catholic primary. If we're still living here, that'll be important as the public schools are below par and the independent schools too costly.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in a small town and I went to a catholic primary school and a public primary school then public high school and the public ones were scummy. The teachers didn't care and the students were feral (obviously generalizing as there were a few nice teachers and students too but the majority weren't good)
    I would consider sending DD to one of the public primary schools here but none of the others. The catholic schools have a really good name here and are less crowded.
    I was baptized etc but do not follow the catholic religion at all and DD isn't baptized and really doesn't know anything about religion.
    I think it's just different for different areas and I'm just going by personal experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What is better about Catholic schools?

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yep independent schools.
    I dont think ive ever seen any. Not here anyway!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    I don't think because a school is private means it is a good school.
    Re sports, our sporting teams travelled the world. I thought it was amazing for teens to have that opportunity and we also had 2 students from my school in the Olympics last year
    Nor me! I had an awful experience the the private school I went to, getting expelled was a blessing! The state school I went to was a much better experience. It also produced a world champion surfer and a couple of Common wealth Games medal winning athletes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my friends who went to expensive private schools had the best parties and drugs. Just sayin.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a huge generalisation to say catholic schools are better. If you're talking about private schooling, the key factors are simply 1. Higher school fees therefore more money to spend on facilities and equipment gir the school, and 2. The selection process - public schools MUST accept and educate all children and this ate more reflective of the local community as a whole. Private schools have a selective process.

Being catholic, religion, has little to do with the quality of a school.

OP I would advise your sister to do her own research - taking into consideration what she considers important for her own child - fees, governance, class sizes, teachers, curriculum etc. and form her own opinions rather than make such important decisions based on the hearsay of others.

Thanks
    Reviews

I know that where I live the Catholic schools have kinder classes with 30-32 kids in each. For me personally I would never send my child to the catholic schools here because of the fact that they refuse to teach any kind of s3x ed to older kids. A friend of mine teaches at the catholic school and has told me how the older teachers tell the students they don't need to know about s3x because they won't be having s3x before marriage which is a incredibly naive attitude to have.

It also confuses me how non-religious families want to send their children to Catholic schools and have them sit through Mass. If its not something you do routinely with your family then why have your child do it at school?

That JMO!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It wholly depends on the schools. DS will be attending catholic school for primary and secondary because it is miles ahead of the public schools where we live. He isn't being baptised even though DF and I were. We don't follow the religion so find it odd to have DS baptised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I will be sending DS to catholic school I do agree the way the teach s$x education is ridiculous. My sister is 17 and beginning her final year of school where DS will be going and the only thing they were told about s$x was to abstain. There was nothing about birth control, stds, nothing. We will be having many many many open discussions with DS about the topic so it wont effect him but its still a very old fashioned naïve way to go about s$x education.