+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

I'd imagine it depends on the school, their faculties, facilities, funding. As for high school when the time comes they will go depending on their interests and what the school offers. Things will change by then, baptising just for school is ludicrous imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What is better about Catholic schools?

This might be a silly question but are there any non religious private schools?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We are sending or kids to an anglican school, but aren't religous.

I love the school, it has facilities and grounds far better than any public school i.ve seen, plus they run the international baccalaureate program.

It's only the same cost as the catholic school, but as they get government funding the school ends up with much more $ per child than public school and therefore can provide more

Also I like that it's only parents who care about their childrens education that send their kids there and they can expell kids if necessary, so teachers teach rather than teachers wasting time on kids with extreme behaviour, as was the case in my public high school

After sending them to montessori daycare i'd love to send them to a school, but it's too far away, and too expensive for us

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

beccacino  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    In my town, our main public school was better than the catholic schools, even the private ones.
    Are you talking about primary or secondary? Or both?

If we are still living in this area, but have to move to another suburb, putting dd out of the catchment zone for our preferred primary school, she will be going to one of two religious schools (probably the Catholic) and for us it's purely because I really don't want dd to attend the public schools here (other than the one in our suburb), maybe if she were in highschool but not in primary as I find that's when children really tend to set their academic and social pace.

ETA- we haven't christened dd and have no intention of it, regardless of schooling status.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 12-01-2013 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    depends on the particular school and area I think.

I have a catholic school across the road, I wouldn't send dd there. It's very much a public school that has religion thrown in and you get to pay for the pleasure (Please note nothing wrong with public education, just no point paying for it if your not religious imo)

There is another one 5 mins drive away and we did consider sending dd there, it has better facilities then both the other catholic school and the public school as well as alot of extracurricular activities. They staff seem lovely and it gets glowing reports from everyone I have spoken too.

Sometime more 'gets done' in private schools as well, my brother was basicially ignored in the public system, despite my mother jumping up and down alot. They sent him to a catholic school (not a hugley expensive one) and they actually worked with him and my mum to get his issues sorted and get him back on track. They also delt with him being bullied, where as the solution at the public school was 'kids will be kids, so bad luck'.

As I said above it really depends on the particular school and area!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post

Yep independent schools.

Thanks
    Reviews

As someone who has been to both public and private catholic schools and preferred the the private school a few reasons for me-
    I was teased less
    Smaller class sizes
    If you messed up you were expelled
    More opportunities for sporting teams

I definitely agree it would depend on the school but because my private schooling was a positive experience I will be sending DS to a private school.

Not matter if a school is public or private there are good ones and bad ones. Parents need to do their research and pick the best one for their child.
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 12-01-2013 at 09:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post

There is one in Adelaide that I know of, they still have religious studies though, but study a few religions in it. Too bad its also insanly expensive. If we win big in the lotto thats where our kids will be going

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeddie View Post
    As someone who has been to both public and private catholic schools and preferred the the private school a few reasons for me-
    I was teased less
    Smaller class sizes
    If you messed up you were expelled
    More opportunities for sporting teams

I definitely agree it would depend on the school but because my private schooling was a positive experience I will be sending DS to a private school.
    Gosh, I had the complete opposite experience! (Although I went to an Anglican school and a state school). At the private Anglican school I was teased to the point of being bullied, there was about the same class size I think, I actually got expelled (it was very easy to get expelled and quite a few girls did), much less opportunity for sporting teams or other non-academic studies.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Gosh, I had the complete opposite experience! (Although I went to an Anglican school and a state school). At the private Anglican school I was teased to the point of being bullied, there was about the same class size I think, I actually got expelled (it was very easy to get expelled and quite a few girls did), much less opportunity for sporting teams or other non-academic studies.
    I don't think because a school is private means it is a good school.
    Re sports, our sporting teams travelled the world. I thought it was amazing for teens to have that opportunity and we also had 2 students from my school in the Olympics last year