+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What is better about Catholic schools?

The other christening thread got me thinking - my SIL was also talking about getting her 16 month old christened in the Catholic Church so she can get her into the Catholic high school - she is not catholic and not religious and I asked her why is that catholic school better and she said I don't know , everyone else in her mothers group said they are better than public schools!
    I thought our local catholic schools were just like the local public schools but teach Catholicism ? Im not talking about the expensive private catholic schools just the local ones - do they have better facilities , teachers or different policy's etc? I have never bothered to look into it as I am not catholic
    If you are not catholic - what are the main reasons behind sending your child to a catholic school?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Have been wanting to ask this, subbing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

It's all about marketing. It's not public, so it must be better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

The catholic schools in my area have the lowest education levels in the area. The children are all below where they should be. I think it MUST be an area thing.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In my town, our main public school was better than the catholic schools, even the private ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is individual to the area and the schools in the area. In our area, it is better families. Also, a catholic primary school education puts you to the top of the list for catholic high schools. And the public high school in our zone is just down right scary. If we lived in the area I grew up in, I would be definitely be sending our kids to the public primary and high school.

But I am catholic, so perhaps this question doesn't apply to me.

Thanks
    Reviews

In my area the religious private high schools have had issues with pregnancies and suicide so I think I'll take my chances at public for my kids.
    I also work with a group of girls & all but one other went to private catholic & Christian schools & the words/things they don't know/understand astounds me & the other public schooler we honestly cannot believe their parents paid extra for their education, it seems a waste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It depends on the needs of the individual child. There is no better or worse just the best fit for your child.

Catholic primary schools can often be smaller, size of school can factor into people's schooling choices. Eg: a smaller school may have a strong sense of community, a larger school may have access to better facilities or a bigger range of programs etc..
    Last edited by babyla; 12-01-2013 at 08:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I like the way catholic schools belong to a parish and therefore a community environment. I also like the way they include God and religion into life.

But I'm biased as I'm catholic and would never ever send my kids to a non religious school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well after trying our catholic school, I pulled mine out and sent them back to public..

Now I have them in independent private.

In our catholic school there was 32 kids in a class, we had 5 teachers in kindy!! as in one class had 5 different teachers over the year.

It really depends on the head of that particular school.

They are not as pricey as private schools so that what makes them attractive..

although there are different types of catholic school..
    systemic will be subsidised by your diocese (sp?) whereas the independant ones are pricey.