+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to drop a night feed - help?

My bubs feeds 3 hourly at night, she is 4 months old and has done since birth. I really have to say I think that we are both blessed to be getting 3 hours between feeds at such a young age. A humans digestive window is 3 hourly even as adults. So I can't imagine a 6 week old purely on liquid going any longer. I certainly wouldn't want to wait if I was hungry and it isn't fair to make a little baby that's totally dependent do so either.

Thanks
    Reviews

You can try a dream feed when you are going to go to bed yourself if you wish to get a few more hours sleep. I've found that helps. Also I cosleep (bedshare) topless so that when bub wakes during the night I just lay on my side and feed her that way and we both go back to sleep really quickly. It was a bit difficult to learn at first but I started that at 2 weeks old when we were still establishing breastfeeding. You should be able to have more luck at 6 weeks if you wish to try that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your comments, maybe I am getting ahead of myself. We have a three year old and I honestly can't remember what she was like at this age, she may have been the same and I'm just recalling her night feeding habits from an older age ... It's hazy memory! We do a dream feed, but still 3 hourly, perhaps it isn't too bad. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Bensmum12; 12-01-2013 at 09:52.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Have to agree with pp's. 6 weeks is very young and getting 3 hours between feeds is amazing at that age. My LO is 11 weeks and still feeds every 1.5-2 hours around the clock! I would be in heaven with 3 hourly feeds

As has been suggested try expressing for that 1am feed or since you are already offering 1 formula feed is there a reason you don't want to offer another?
    Just keep in mind that the more you supplement the less you will produce. It can lead to early weaning which isn't always what the mother wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This isn't from personal experience, but I have a friend with a newborn who found her baby was waking for more feeds during the night than he was during the day. She did some calculations and realised that her baby almost always had the same total amount of feeds every day. She started giving him one or two additional feeds during the day and almost immediately he reduced the night feeds to come into line with his overall daily average. Not sure if this is any help in your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    True! Didn't even think of that. I am too new to bf and have soooo much to learn.
    Post away in the BF section, I know there are a few lovely hubbers that are quite knowledgeable in the BF department

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes same for me! You can also call the ABA on 1300 mum2mum, their volunteer counsellors are great also. Best of luck for a long and beautiful breastfeeding journey!