+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to drop a night feed - help?

Hi, my bub is 6 weeks old, gains weight each week and is 5.5 kg. he feeds well during the day but sill wakes up 3 times during the night for feeds and can't seem to go more than 3 hours (max) between feeding, day or night. He's breast fed with a formula bottle atv10 pm (from dad so I can get some rest). I'd like to try and drop the first night feed (1 am) and looking for some advice from mums who have had success - how did you do it? How long did it take? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Personally I think 6 weeks is far too young to be dropping feeds. I know it is exhausting, but 3hrs isn't too bad for a 6week old. I still feed my 10month old 2-3 times a night, It is hot and it settles her immediately. Sorry I have no advice, I have always waited until 6 months until I have dropped night feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My DS fed every 2 hours around the clock for the first 4 months... He is 6 months old now and still wakes for at least one feed. He's only little and he obviously needs it to keep growing. It can be really exhausting, I learnt to feed laying down which was a big help. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

6 weeks is very young to try and drop a feed. As pp, 3hrly feeds is great at 6 weeks. Bub will eventually start going longer between feeds. Just have to be patient.

My 11 month old still feeds once over night.

Thanks
    Reviews

I think you should speak to a lactation consultant or a nurse before dropping feeds at such a young age.

If you are lacking in sleep maybe look at some more strategies to help you get some. If you are breastfeeding try expressing and having your partner/friend do a feed.

Get someone to help during the day for a couple of hours so you can catch up on some sleep.

Hire a housekeeper for a couple of hours so you don't have to worry about chores for the week, just get through it and make sleep your priority.

I'm not a fan of co-sleeping but sometime people just have to so they can sleep.

Learn to breastfeed laying on your side, then you are at least lying down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry to say hun but that sounds like he's doing great for 6 weeks. Hopefully you'll get some more sleep soon but I wouldn't encourage trying to drop feeds at such a young age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sorry but I agree with PPs- bubs that age need those regular feeds, that is to young to try to drop a feed.i agree with he expressing idea. And don't worry, it gets better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I also agree with PPs, it all sounds very normal for a young bub. And it does get better, much better

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I agree

Thanks
    Reviews

It's hard work when they are feeding so regularly but as others have said 3hourly for 6weeks is good. Can you express and get someone else to do one of the feeds so you can sleep. It does get easier so hang in there. Try to sleep when bubs sleeps don't worry about the housework.