+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Sorry but I don't think that standing up and professing that you will bring the child up in the particular religion with all that entails when you really mean I just want my kid in your religion's school is the right thing to do. It's just queue jumping. As a practicing catholic who still worries that my child won't get into the local catholic school that really gets my back up. Perhaps you could attend the church sometime, you might find the great morals the school has might be applicable to your life too?

All children have the right to choose their path through life, that's not a barrier if you are christened early on by your parents.
    This!! ^^^^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure how much the church is involved now as in for funding. But in history with my primary school for example I know it was started by the sisters of mercy in the late 1800's and I know alot of schools started this way. Alot of catholic schools have churches on ground or very close by, mine had a convent for the nuns and they were heavily involved in the school, our principle was a sister. You might find that alot on catholic schools.
    So yeah I'm not sure what happens now, but that's how they started. But for a private school to start, I think it'd have to be funded by someone, like everything I'd imagine it's a business and schools aren't good businesses. Alot of private schools close down, there isn't alot of quality out there, our montissori school closed also which was at a public school and very close by. All the parents who moved to the area to go there had to take their kids out

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

The only new-ish private schools I've noticed around have been in the new housing estates that spring up in the outer suburbs.
    Not sure why...availability of land maybe? Or that there are enough private schools already in the more established areas?

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Why did you send your kids to an Anglican school? Because its Anglican or because it's private?
    Because it's private. I wasn't happy with the public schools we were in the catchment for.

ETA Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread!
    Last edited by lambjam; 15-01-2013 at 22:57.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    The only new-ish private schools I've noticed around have been in the new housing estates that spring up in the outer suburbs.
    Not sure why...availability of land maybe? Or that there are enough private schools already in the more established areas?
    There is a brand new one in the CBD in Melbourne. The Melbourne City School. It's in King St. It's an independent non religious co-Ed school.
    But I only know bout this cos it's affiliated with the school I went to growing up in the north east subs of Melbourne, Eltham College.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Christening

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    There is a brand new one in the CBD in Melbourne. The Melbourne City School. It's in King St. It's an independent non religious co-Ed school.
    But I only know bout this cos it's affiliated with the school I went to growing up in the north east subs of Melbourne, Eltham College.
    This school had been there a few years and is now closing.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    This school had been there a few years and is now closing.

Ohh I didn't know that. That's a shame.
    Although I did question how they were going to translate the feel and values of a semi rural school to the city.
    What I loved about going to Eltham College was that it was surrounded by trees, huge grounds, a nature reserve, dams etc. Being in the city would be the opposite!

Was it poor enrollments? I can't find anything online about it closing.
    Last edited by 3cats1pug; 16-01-2013 at 05:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    the Montessori school near me is on govt land, they just have a 20 yr lease

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Christening

Quote Originally Posted by catrules View Post
    Ohh I didn't know that. That's a shame.
    Although I did question how they were going to translate the feel and values of a semi rural school to the city.
    What I loved about going to Eltham College was that it was surrounded by trees, huge grounds, a nature reserve, dams etc. Being in the city would be the opposite!

Was it poor enrollments? I can't find anything online about it closing.
    I'm really not sure, my organization had been working quite closely with them and we were told at the end of last year they were closing.
    It is a shame, tgey actually seemed to be doing a great job of creating a country school feel to an inner city location- a lovely small and intimate school with great community ties.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I'm really not sure, my organization had been working quite closely with them and we were told at the end of last year they were closing.
    It is a shame, tgey actually seemed to be doing a great job of creating a country school feel to an inner city location- a lovely small and intimate school with great community ties.

That's such a shame. We live in the inner city and how lovely it would have been to send a child there. It's not like I expected moving away from the Eltham area to be ever near another 'eltham college'! We probably wouldn't have because of the high cost but would have been nice to have the option.

Guess the news hasn't got out! That will be a big blow to the CEO/ principal David Warner. Lots of ppl haven't agreed how he's done things, this will just give then more reason to criticize him.