+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Christening

Ah ok fair enough. Sorry i misunderstood your comment. I agree, at the end of the day only she can make that decision

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Ah ok fair enough. Sorry i misunderstood your comment. I agree, at the end of the day only she can make that decision

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    No dramas, in fairness I may be a tad defensive on this subject because of my own background so I understand how it might have read :goodvibes;

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Also to pp, I didn't mean to be rude and say its off but I just think if you are going to do something so significant to a child, you must do it because you believe in it and at least know about it, know what a baptism is and a christening. Deciding to do it to my kids is a huge thing for me, sending them to a catholic school would be bigger.
    I agree, see my above post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Christening

We baptized DD as I wanted our two fear friends to be her godparents. We baptized her Anglican as DH is Anglican and we married in an Anglican Church

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

We got DD and DS baptised in the Uniting Church (as I was as a Bub) and we only go to church once a year at Christmas. I am not sure if I 'believe' as such but it gives me comfort knowing that I do have somewhere to turn if I ever need it. I wanted to give my children that same opportunity. My DD goes to a Catholic school, so she is exposed to Christianity every day at school anyway. And it was really important to my parents.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

youmake3  (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youmake3 View Post
    I was christened and im not overly religious but I feel like its important to believe in something and this will give him a start. If he choses something else in the future thats his decision but i feel like it is a bit of belonging i guess. Many people have told me this is hypocritical because i never attend church.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    This is me. I really wanted my kids to be baptised so they have that sense of 'belonging'. This may sound silly to some but I know some people will understand! And I wanted my kids to be easily able to chose to follow God or not, and I felt that being baptised already makes it easier for them to do so.
    So, all three of my kids were baptised.
    We don't go to church and never have. I'm currently a bit confused with my beliefs in God's existence atm but I don't portray this to my kids. They all believe in God. They choose what they want re. religion. My eldest did not choose to do his Holy Communion.
    So yeah we're a bit all over the place with our religion LOL.

I do feel that people baptising just to get into Catholic school even though they don't believe in God and don't plan to, is a bit off. But OP no I don't think your reasons are hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    This actually depends on the priest and parish. When my DS was baptised (catholic) we had the option to have a full submersion or pouring of water (I don't know about this sprinkle idea, they literally pour a jug of water over the babies head).
    This is what mine does! The option anyway. We chose to do it this way, no one else did though. They sit naked in the font of water and have jugs of water poured over their head. It was so cute LOL. And then when you pick them up all wet and naked out of the font everyone in the whole church does a collective "awwwwwww"
    Last edited by CMF; 13-01-2013 at 10:22.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

youmake3  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

I was baptized into the Catholic Church. I also went through communion and confirmation etc.
    I now feel very resentful to my parents for putting me though these catholic ceremonies. As an adult I've been able to talk to my parents and found out they don't believe in it (when pushed to give an answer) and they only went along with it because of family tradition.

I think religion is a serious thing and you have a responsibility to be educated as to what you are getting into and be able to explain why you believe in it. I have a big problem with indoctrinating babies and kids into religions when they can't have enough understanding to know what they are are a part of.

So at the very least educate yourself (read online, go speak to someone from your local church) as to the significance of the christening/baptism and what you are expected to believe in and the vows you will promise to obey.
    If you are unsure yourself about what you believe in then I don't think it's fair to then make your child a part of it also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    In the catholic religion all babies are God's children and go straight to heaven (not through purgatory) regardless of whether they are christened or not.
    That may be the opinion of your local priest, but it is not official doctrine. There is merely hope that babies will not be sent to Hell or Limbo. To be safe, babies should be baptised early. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limbo#Modern_era
    Last edited by goldtoe; 15-01-2013 at 12:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think it's hypocritical if you have no intention of bringing them up in that faith. Perhaps not even hypocritical, just stupid and pointless.

Plenty of people do it though. I know DP's family just Christens as a matter of course. Nobody believes in any of it, yet they all do it, and have a Christening gown they pass on to each child.

It won't be happening with any kids I have with him. I'm an atheist and it's just not happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The catholic schools that are both good and cheap can be very popular. Christening is not enough. You can be asked for a letter from your parish priest saying that you attend regularly and participate in the church. I know a family who stopped attending church as soon as their kid was accepted ot the school. It must happen a lot.

If you are going to be dishonest, I'd rather fake my address to get into a good public school. (disclaimer: I went to catholic schools.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast