+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Christening

A christening is a naming ceremony, the baptism is the emersion in water part. Catholics do baptisms, they don't do christenings. But other christian faiths like orthodox do Christenings where the child is also given their name at the baptism.
    Does that make sense?
    Catholics will call it a Baptism and my friend who's orthodox call it a Christening, it's the same thing (baptism part) but then the orthodox also name their child officially in the church (it must be a saints name)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Christening

But an infant baptism isnt an immersion but a sprinkling is that correct? Ive never actually been to one myself just going by what ive seen on tv lol!

Thanks to those who explained it to me. Even tho i dont agree with it i appreciate the friendly manner in which i was responded to

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    But an infant baptism isnt an immersion but a sprinkling is that correct? Ive never actually been to one myself just going by what ive seen on tv lol!
    In the Greek Orthodox Church it's a full scale dunking! And it's called a baptism there, although the child is also given their Christian name (which can differ from their legal name).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep mostly nowadays it's just holy water on the head. Some go further with the water, especially with an adult christening.

I accept the baptism v's christening wording, it's a bit tomato/tomato.

there are other traditions in different religions, like godparents who ensure that if anything happens to the birth parents then they will step in and carry on the values of the parents etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

Thanks to those who explained it to me. Even tho i dont agree with it i appreciate the friendly manner in which i was responded to

Depends on the church, orthodox do the full emersion in water, its a long ceremony and its considered the biggest day of their lives so its a huge celebration like a wedding.
    Catholics do the sprinkling of water and do a few babies at once after mass, Catholics keep it more low key and just family/godparents usually.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies. I have actually learnt a a lot I didnt know.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christening

I come from 2 very large catholic families and was brought up catholic. I believe that through virtue of my upbringing that I live a catholic ethos, pretty much whether I want to or not, you can't help how you're brought up. I don't go to mass and I don't believe it's important for me to do this because I generally have issues with the concept of organized religion. If I choose to send DS to a catholic school it will be because we feel the school values are aligned with ours, I wouldn't send him otherwise. I don't think there is anything questionable or off about it.
    One of the problems the catholic church has is the stigma attached to not 'being catholic enough' to be considered a 'good catholic'.

OP if you want to have your child christened you don't need to justify it to anyone, the very idea that people have even questioned you let alone called you a hypocrite is off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post

OP if you want to have your child christened you don't need to justify it to anyone, the very idea that people have even questioned you let alone called you a hypocrite is off.
    In all fairness, she did ask for opinions and if people thought she was being hypocritical.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

In all fairness, she did ask for opinions and if people thought she was being hypocritical.

I agree. I was giving my opinion from my own experience. I was referring to the people IRL that OP was referring to in her original post

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    This actually depends on the priest and parish. When my DS was baptised (catholic) we had the option to have a full submersion or pouring of water (I don't know about this sprinkle idea, they literally pour a jug of water over the babies head). Neither of my children have been baptised with other children and only one was done after mass (and it was just that it suited the priest as he was already there). My DH was baptised as an adult and it was done as part of the mass with the whole church community involved.
    I've been to a few and this is what they did, but yes I'd imagine each parish is different
    It's the symbolism that matters anyway, both are still a baptism.

I just wanted to add another interesting fact, in the Greek culture, their name is so important hence 'christened' because they celebrate saints days which are name days. Your name day is celebrated rather than a birthday!!

Also to pp, I didn't mean to be rude and say its off but I just think if you are going to do something so significant to a child, you must do it because you believe in it and at least know about it, know what a baptism is and a christening. Deciding to do it to my kids is a huge thing for me, sending them to a catholic school would be bigger.