+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christening

Fwiw OP I'm a non practising catholic but if I decide in future to send my DS to the local catholic school then I will have him christened. I couldn't care less if others feel he shouldn't be christened because we don't attend mass, it's my business nobody else's. Calling you a hypocrite doesn't make sense to me. You don't have to go to church to prove anything to anyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anyone is able to have a child christened. It is the first of many sacraments, and christening is one where the parents take a vow to raise the child in the ethos of the particular religion because the child can't make that decision themselves. In the catholic religion all babies are God's children and go straight to heaven (not through purgatory) regardless of whether they are christened or not.

It's hypocritical in my view to take that serious vow if you only have other motives.

if my Dd doesn't want to go to church or continue with our family religion, and she is mature enough to make that decision, then fine by me I won't be forcing her. I too stopped going to church (although never renounced my religion) so we all grow and mature trough life.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

I don't think going to church every Sunday is a religious requirement, if you believe in it, practice and observe holidays, read the bible etc then you are part of that religion I think.
    Getting baptised just for school I find strange yes. If the school is good enough for your child, why wouldn't the religion be? Religion and their teaching is closely linked, your child will attend church and learn about Christianity, the most important things they'll learn will be of a Christian perspective, if your not even Christian why would you want your child learning those things? I mean I get it if its just a good school and non Christians go but to go and baptise your kid I think is off. Sorry pp not to offend.

I'm not religious myself (but not atheist either) dh is catholic and wants to baptise our kids, he doesn't go to church a lot but I think it's also about family, tradition, being a part of something, learning about spirituality etc. I don't think it's hypocritical if your not a fanatic though, like, church attendance isn't for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Fwiw OP I'm a non practising catholic but if I decide in future to send my DS to the local catholic school then I will have him christened. I couldn't care less if others feel he shouldn't be christened because we don't attend mass, it's my business nobody else's. Calling you a hypocrite doesn't make sense to me. You don't have to go to church to prove anything to anyone.
    Going to church proves nothing to anyone except you and god. Catholic schools (at least where I live) take non-Catholics also. Openly admitting that you have your child christened only to get into a particular school is questionable religion in my mind. You have said that you are non-practicing catholic and no one counts how many times you attend church. Not having anything to do with a religion and liking the school is a different scenario.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Christening

Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    Anyone is able to have a child christened. It is the first of many sacraments, and christening is one where the parents take a vow to raise the child in the ethos of the particular religion because the child can't make that decision themselves. In the catholic religion all babies are God's children and go straight to heaven (not through purgatory) regardless of whether they are christened or not.

It's hypocritical in my view to take that serious vow if you only have other motives.

if my Dd doesn't want to go to church or continue with our family religion, and she is mature enough to make that decision, then fine by me I won't be forcing her. I too stopped going to church (although never renounced my religion) so we all grow and mature trough life.
    Ah ok so its like a vow to God to say you will raise ur child as a catholic, so its like a promise a parent makes to God. Did i understand that right?

So is baptism seperate?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Ah ok so its like a vow to God to say you will raise ur child as a catholic, so its like a promise a parent makes to God. Did i understand that right?

So is baptism seperate?

Yes exactly. You are 'baptised' (the holy water on you for the first official time) at your christening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Christening

I guess where i get confused is that infant baptism isnt in the bible. The bibles definition of baptism is very different - with all due respect. Its a church tradition so wasnt sure how it was practiced exactly. Thanks for the info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    I guess where i get confused is that infant baptism isnt in the bible. The bibles definition of baptism is very different - with all due respect. Its a church tradition so wasnt sure how it was practiced exactly. Thanks for the info

i might have my bible wrong but the first baptism (in the catholic bible anyway) was John the Baptist who dunked people in the water to symbolise their washing and joining with Jesus. Jesus was an adult at that stage. The church has adapted over time and we're left with the modern day christening.

So many religions have a same but different thing. We had DD in Bali at 4 months. The locals were horrified until we explained that she had already had her 'ceremony'. They were fine after that knowing she was 'protected'.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

We are going to get dd baptized in march 2 days after we get married, both df and I were raised catholic but neither of us attend church now, I still have a belief in the general teachings of the church and want my daughter to have this too, I will make an effort to take her to church (it wont be regularly as church is at least an hour away) until she is old enough to decide for herself. IMO if you're doing it just to get your child into a school it's a bit wrong, but if it's because it's something you value and choose to teach your child whether you attend church or not I don't see it as wrong

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christening

I wouldn't have got DS baptised but it was ex MIL one heartfelt wish that her grandchildren be. She didn't mind what religion at all, just as long as they were. I knew it meant a lot to her so I didn't mind.

Edited to correct terminology :-)
    Last edited by Bennos Mummy; 11-01-2013 at 22:51.