+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default *trigger post* pregnant woman left to die!

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Being devils advocate here but if you give the unborn the same rights as the living then you are taking away the rights of the mother.

Ie it stops being "your body- your choice". Then pregnant women could be charged with endangerment for eating the 'wrong' foods, drinking, smoking, medication, traveling in the last trimester, inappropriate footwear and poor choices etc

You could further extend that to all babies deserve the right to 'drug free natural birth' regardless of the mothers wants. And possibly the right for mums to chose bf or not.

That is a complete spin off tho.

I don't mean to trivialize the tragedy but we have to be careful when it comes to the rights of bub vs the rights of mum.
    Good points but I'm sure politicians are capable of coming up with a law that counts babies as soon as they are 'viable' but doesn't penalize women for the things mentioned above. It's all in the paperwork.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How sad Poor family, I feel for them. RIP

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews

Oh my, so so sad, I am crying That poor family

Thanks
    Reviews

I nearly started my own spin off rant but didn't, but now that the discussion has segued into rights of unborn I just had to add....

We will never gets laws allowing unborn children to 'count' in situations such as this while we allow late term abortions after viability.
    The autonomy of the baby/foetus would need to be determined independently of how much someone wants it, therefore you can't have it both ways (I.e. tragedy that THIS baby died because mother wanted it, but not a tragedy when another foetus is terminated by choice of the mother)

Law couldn't cope with defining it both ways, therefore this is the situation that results