+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you diet??

I can't find the right section to post this question.
    But I'm wondering what your experience has been with weight loss?
    I've been looking at meal ideas and trying to work out an eating plan for myself, breakfast/lunch/dinner with snacks and keeping the calories within 1200. I've been having major problems trying to simplify it all. Once I do lunches and dinners I'm looking at 20+ingredients and alot of food preperation and cooking, it seems like my grocery bills are going to be very very high. I really have no idea how other women do this and manage?
    Do you cook your lunches and dinners? Is there a trick to this?
    I'm looking at low GI foods and have bought a few diabetes cookbooks with great ideas and recipes, but yeah just the food prep and list of ingedients seems like so much????? Alot of protein, alot of vegetables and just for me with lunches in particular as my kids wouldn't eat most of the stuff.
    Any experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would generally have a healthy cereal/musli/yoghurt for breakfast and a piece of fruit for a snack mid morning, then either a salad with tuna or chicken or even plain salad for lunch, plus another piece of fruit.. dinner would be something along the lines of steamed/grilled fish/chicken etc with steamed veggies or salad. I would have no dessert usually and if i did happen to have it, i'd find the smallest bowl possible so the portion doesn't seem so small.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I would generally have a healthy cereal/musli/yoghurt for breakfast and a piece of fruit for a snack mid morning, then either a salad with tuna or chicken or even plain salad for lunch, plus another piece of fruit.. dinner would be something along the lines of steamed/grilled fish/chicken etc with steamed veggies or salad. I would have no dessert usually and if i did happen to have it, i'd find the smallest bowl possible so the portion doesn't seem so small.
    So you kept it pretty plain, like a small piece of grilled steak and steamed veg, I usually eat potato and do a gravy with my steaks, is that a no go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Going vegan was the quickest and easiest weightloss ive ever done. I NEVER restrict my calories or carbs or desserts and my weight has been maintained long term . The only thing i try to do is cook from home instead of buying "convenience" vegan foods.

Thanks
    Reviews

Snack wise I pre-measured like 1/2 cup of trail mix into little bags. It's all good on the low gi diet so its quite filling and its relatively cheap and easy.

Lunch just doing a wholemeal bread thin with tuna and salad, some grain waves and a piece of fruit

Dinner generally a piece of grilled steak or chicken with salad. I also did large slow cooker meals like curries and things then had them with LOTS of veg instead of rice. You can freeze them and save them for other days and just cook the veg separately when you want them.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you want to go low gi I don't know how good potato is...? And gravy usually has quite a bit of salt/fats etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I'm not suppose to eat potato, I think sweet potato is ok. This is why I'm bad at dieting and was trying to follow some recipes to add flavour to food without it being bad. Like I can't eat something with no flavour. But yeah the problem then is all the damn ingredients.
    I will keep researching my books and online recipes and try and balance my menu and ingredient list. It's not easy!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd steer clear of too much potato, sweet potato etc, peas and corn (sugar), rice, pasta and white bread.
    Eat as much salad and green veg as u like. But cut out sauces that are high in calories. Use spices instead (chilli, ginger, garlic, herbs, Cajun).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3cats1pug For This Useful Post:

Someones Mummy  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I have insulin resistance so am meant to follow a low GI diet too. I find it so difficult as i'm a vegetarian so my diet is rather full of carbs, i also love carbs... i could seriously live off nothing but them, except for the fact that i would end up with diabetes and probably lose a leg or 2 or worse.

I've found it really hard to lose weight. Atm i'm doing a juice fast. It seems to be the only way i can drop any weight at all. I'm 3.1kgs down in 4 days. I'm hoping to stretch it out to 60 days and hopefully lose 20 kgs all up.

When i'm eating though, i try to keep it boring and simple by minimizing the carbs and sugars i consume.
    For Breakfast i usually have 1-2 weetbix.
    Morning tea: piece of fruit
    Lunch: Salad or wholemeal sandwhich
    Afternoon tea: A handful of almonds or a few vita-weet biscuits.
    Dinner: Try to keep it easy and do stir fry's of mostly vegies and tofu and a tiny serve of rice, same for curries like dahl. Sometimes i will just do a salad. I still have carbs but just try to minimize the amount i consume. Quinoa is meant to be a good alternative to rice. I've had a pack sitting in the cupboard for ages that i've been meaning to try.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Someones Mummy  (11-01-2013)