+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A Q for those of you who have moved state.

Hi, Hubby and I have decided to move to Sydney from Perth. I was just wondering how you did your move, did you use a shipping container or did your hubby drive a truck/ trailer over?
    Can you give me a idea on prices of these methods?

Any othe advice?

Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner's work paid for most of our move from rural NSW to Adelaide (otherwise we wouldn't have done it) and the moving company packed boxes into trucks which then went into containers in a train, I believe. That's a long drive if you are thinking of doing it yourselves - good luck! It cost us about $10,000 but that was four years ago and not from a capital city.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopeg For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I moved QLD to NSW. It was only 800kms away but cost $735 to backload everything here.
    There are back loading comparison sites you can enter all your details into that give you a bunch of quotes from different companies. This is how i went about it. Was definitely worth it as the first lot of quotes i got were around $1200-$1300.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It really depends on how much stuff you have as well as the distance.

When we moved from Townsville to Canberra we had a four bedroom house with a moderate amount of stuff. It cost $12k to pack and move. Most of the cost in this instance was the distance.

When we moved from Canberra to Sydney it cost $6.5k and we had a four bedroom house chock full of stuff. In this instance the bulk of the cost was the amount of stuff we had - our container was full to the brim.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Just going to add if you do go down the back loading route, check your content insurance policy and see if that covers you contents whilst in transit. Mine did through NRMA so i didn't have to take out any additional transit insurance.

As for the hiring a truck. I sussed this out when i was moving it worked out to be more than back loading once i'd added on additional km's and diesel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Don't do it ....lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you are best off packing some suitcases, having a garage sale, and starting afresh in the new state. Just my opinion, but I really think transiting large furniture is more trouble than it is worth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

We moved from Canberra to melbourne with a removals company (ck removals where wonderful and I highly reccomend them) and it costs us $2300 and we needed about 35square of space. (3bed house)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

We moved from Sydney to Darwin 18months ago. We had a 3 bedroom house and we filled a storage container. Cost us $5000. I sold quite a lot before we left and I packed all of our boxes. (Was an extra $1000 for them to do it).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We moved from Qld to an island in the NT. DPs employee paid for everything. It was packed in a shipping container. We had a 3br house and fully loaded a 20ft container and left a lot of stuff at home, like furniture and boxes of trinkets ect (we have a storage container on our property). It supposedly cost $640 per square metre. We also had two cars (and was moved by barge)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (12-01-2013)