+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't read the link, but to answer the question- yes, in MY experience it did impact on the division of labour. I am very strongly pro-breastfeeding and love breastfeeding my kids, in fact I feel blessed that I am the one the 'gets' to do it. However, when my DD was born, I feel the fact I was bf, and therefore responsible for feeding her, sort of led to the assumption that I was responsible for everything else. I don't see any point in my partner getting up in the middle of the night if I can feed so obviously that was my job, I would need to take her everywhere with me since I was feeding her, and it just kind of flowed from there. Of course, if I wanted my partner to do something child-related or domestic, I can ask him and *most* of the time he'll do it (eventually), but this in itself still implies that its *my* responsibility and that he's 'helping' me do *my* job, which in itself is an unequal division of labour.

So yeah, I think bf can often lead to men assuming that the woman is more responsible for the house and kids than he is. In traditionSl societies this would not be such a big problem as the men would have their own explicit responsibilities, however in the west often women get lumped with the house, kids AND paid work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does feeding method really impact on division of labour?

I can tell you that in our house from the last 2 months of pregnancy to the first few months of baby I only do what the baby (or my body) allows and dh does the rest (incompetently)

We work from home though so there's far greater scope for flexibility. Also it's still not ideal as he doesn't do things as I would like, ie brushes their teeth hopelessly, lets them throw cereal everywhere etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I can tell you that in our house from the last 2 months of pregnancy to the first few months of baby I only do what the baby (or my body) allows and dh does the rest (incompetently)

We work from home though so there's far greater scope for flexibility. Also it's still not ideal as he doesn't do things as I would like, ie brushes their teeth hopelessly, lets them throw cereal everywhere etc.
    I could not have my partner working at home, he would drive me crazy!

He was great the 3 weeks he had off once baby was born, but I was counting down the days until he went back to work

Thanks
    Reviews

He does drive me insane but if we split up I'd need to find someone to help with both the business and the children heh heh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

He does drive me insane but if we split up I'd need to find someone to help with both the business and the children heh heh
    On the plus side, he got to experience all domestic and child related duties whilst I was recovering!

I think he was glad to go back to work lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Whether I was fresh home from a c-section, breastfeeding, formula feeding or back at work - I.did.EVERYTHING!!!! Oh no sorry, maybe ex gave DS a shower the equivelant time of stirring the dinner twice before I had to go get him, or maybe he fed DS a bottle until dinner was finished so passed him to me to finish the bottle and put him to bed while he ate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hmmmm, unfortunately my hubby is a bit non-compliant

Even at 40 weeks pregnant with twins I was doing everything. I've worked out he'll step up when he absolutely HAS to, but if I show ANY capability at all, he leaves it to me grrrr