+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm guessing they mean it prevents mother from returning to work, therefore stuck at home doing the mundane housework?
    Yes, I think so. But even when women do continue to work full time, does that mean that childcare is ever equally divided? Except, I guess where week on week off separated parents have 50/50 and it must be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Benji  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    THis is an issue with the artificial western division of labour / capitalism in which people go out to structured workplaces to sell their labour.

IN most places in the world, where your livelihood is more incorporated into yoru life, it's not an issue.

I am breastfeeding right now and working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Unless you ended up with four anal fissures and a sore coxyc bone as a result of a traumatic birth, then you are kind of half standing-half sitting and crying while trying to feed.
    Ouch. Unfair how after a caesar you get the really good drugs but everybody else really has to suffer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in my structured workplace enjoying the aircon and expressing. Really cannot fathom how anyone gets any work done with children crawling all over the keyboard. But I guess in the non Western world it wouldn't just be me and the little terrors, eh?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    DH and I share all feeds, nappies and sleep ins when we are both home. When he is working I do night feeds and when we're both working we share. Weekends we share night feeds. So I'm not sure if it's more but it's pretty equal.
    Sleep ins. Oh mythical wonder. I've been asking for one of those for my birthday for 4 years and so far nothing doing. But you have given me hope that when I do agree to settle down I might hope my nice husband will do things around the house other than empty the bins. Ace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Ouch. Unfair how after a caesar you get the really good drugs but everybody else really has to suffer.
    Rectinol was about as good as it got for me lol.

I'd have to agree with you and chew the mintie - it's not necessarily about breastfeeding itself, but the unequal divisions of labour. Most of the babies being fed through bottles I see out and about, and certainly true of the mothers I know, are being fed by their mother anyway.

I would hope that if I had a caesarian or breastfed for hours on end that I would not be lumped with the same amount of housework I do now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Does feeding method really impact on division of labour?

I find it balances out as during that early period of intense feeding, I lie around and watch dvds while I direct my partner to do other things.

It's almost like a 6 week holiday in bed, albeit sleep deprived.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    I'm interested to know if infant feeding method, ie breastfeeding or formula feeding, makes a difference in how domestic work is divided up by you and your partner. It says here, in this book I'm reading, that feminists have argued that breastfeeding prevents the equal division of labour.

If you formula feed your baby, does that really mean your partner does more of the feeding?
    Um, isn't feeding your children part of domestic chores? (Not a chore like cleaning the floor but still a responsibility in order for the household to operate.) I think this might be one of those cases where the author has a very immature understanding of feminism (immature as in underdeveloped, not immature as in like a child).

I wasn't successful at establishing BF with DS so I expressed what I could. It was extremely time consuming as all my time was taken up with expressing, bottle washing etc. DF is a very supportive partner and assisted with domestic chores as needed.

DD fed around the clock for the first 3 to 4 months of her life (day and night) and I also had a severe PPH when she was born. The visiting MW told me that my job was to feed the baby and sleep and his job was to do everything else including all nappy changes, I wasn't even supposed to walk with the baby in case I fainted. Once again DF stepped in, no questions asked, and did what was required.

Whilst I am pondering this question I am wondering if there is an underlying assumption that men are reluctant to step up when a new baby arrives and support the mother by making sure the house is running as smoothly as possible and the mother is getting the support she needs. Whilst I'm sure this is the case in many circumstances I don't think it should be considered the 'norm' or a benchmark. How about we assume that there is an equal division of labour and new fathers support the mothers and anything that deviates from that is considered an irregularity?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree. SPC I was too afraid to read the link as I feared it would be depressing or enraging.

Pregnancy means women can't (or shouldn't) do as much. So does breastfeeding. These are biological realities. Actually, it doesn't mean women can't (or shouldn't) do as much, it means women are diverting energies elsewhere (ie to growing a baby, whether it be via pregnancy or breastfeeding).

I think there's a natural rhythm to these things if people will just allow it...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Does feeding method really impact on division of labour?

My partner has mild newborn breastfeeding envy as he wanted to lie around at watch dvds as well, but had to wrangle our out-of-control 4yo instead.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (11-01-2013),Chew the Mintie  (11-01-2013)