+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Does feeding method really impact on division of labour?

I'm interested to know if infant feeding method, ie breastfeeding or formula feeding, makes a difference in how domestic work is divided up by you and your partner. It says here, in this book I'm reading, that feminists have argued that breastfeeding prevents the equal division of labour.

If you formula feed your baby, does that really mean your partner does more of the feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, my husband has to do more labour as I'm feeding.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (11-01-2013),RipperRita  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DH did all the bottle feeds he was home for, I did the ones when he wasn't home or overnight. But I don't know if it makes much difference overall in terms of household jobs,if he was feeding DD I did the dishwasher for example. If I'd been breast feeding he would have done the dishwasher. It was just a nice bonding experience for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was alone while breastfeeding last time, but it certainly prevented me from doing housework. In saying that, breastfeeding is extremely time-consuming in itself in the early days and very restricting as to what you can do.

My plan for the next baby is to breastfeed and have my feet up and call out to DP "can you get me a cuppa tea? busy breastfeeding here".

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-01-2013),Crazyfamily  (12-01-2013),αληθη  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes. In the early days I fed the babies and everyone else ie DH, mum or mil did everything else

Thanks
    Reviews

My DH may have done 10% more feeds when FF, so didn't affect this house hold (I understand that BF can be more time consuming than FF, unless you have a bub who is a fantastic feeder and does 10 minutes each side every 4 hours! Like my niece)...

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My general view has always been that breastfeeding is time consuming because it is meant to be. You are meant to sit and feed and feed. So if you are not feeding you are not sitting, you are not resting and you're running about doing laundry instead. Though I suppose if you are sleeping instead, that might be nice. Though these days I seem almost dependant on prolactin to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm guessing they mean it prevents mother from returning to work, therefore stuck at home doing the mundane housework?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    You are meant to sit and feed and feed. So if you are not feeding you are not sitting, you are not resting and you're running about doing laundry instead.
    Unless you ended up with four anal fissures and a sore coxyc bone as a result of a traumatic birth, then you are kind of half standing-half sitting and crying while trying to feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post

If you formula feed your baby, does that really mean your partner does more of the feeding?
    DH and I share all feeds, nappies and sleep ins when we are both home. When he is working I do night feeds and when we're both working we share. Weekends we share night feeds. So I'm not sure if it's more but it's pretty equal.