+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: *Trigger Topic* Sleepovers.. What age/with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Extended family? Such as grandparents??
    I couldn't even fathom the idea of my children never having a night with their extended family.
    They have an extremely close and important relationship with 4 of their grandparents and spend lots of time with them.
    I'd rather run that very very small risk that my parents are p3adophiles and I've got it wrong all these years than stop them from having such a wonderful and special bond with the 4 of them.
    I think you are so lucky to be able to have such trust in your extended family. Not everyone is that lucky. So many people on here sadly run the very very real risk that an extended family member will mess with their kids.
    Last edited by Gothel; 12-01-2013 at 16:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *Trigger Topic* Sleepovers.. What age/with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    I think you are so lucky to be able to have such trust in your extended family. Not everyone is that lucky. So many people on here sadly run the very very real risk that an extended family member will mess with their kids.
    Really? Wow...
    That's an interesting concept that I've never considered, that I'm "lucky" my parents aren't p3dophiles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grandparents? Straight away - any time from birth onwards. DD regularly has sleepovers with them, and is looked after by my parents for at least 1 day a week on a regular basis anyway.

Anyone else? It depends on who, of course. I'd have no problem with DD sleeping over at most of my friends' houses, but we haven't needed to do that as my parents live so close and are always happy to have her.

I think at 2.5 she's a bit young for 'social' sleepovers (i.e., sleeping over at someone's house with her friends for fun). But I'd be happy for her to stay over with most of our friends or family if we needed a babysitter.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Really? Wow...
    That's an interesting concept that I've never considered, that I'm "lucky" my parents aren't p3dophiles.
    Well perhaps it's to do with the lack of tone of voice but to me your comment sounded a bit flippant & dismissive... thanks for the sarcasm

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Well perhaps it's to do with the lack of tone of voice but to me your comment sounded a bit flippant & dismissive... thanks for the sarcasm
    No sarcasm.
    I had never thought of myself as "lucky".
    That's all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS had his first sleepover at 5 years old. He stayed at our neighbours house - a male gay couple, they had their daughters for the weekend and the kids had a sleepover. I did not have an issue at all and he had a great time with his friends. He has also had a sleepover at my friends with her son and again had a great time. We have also had 2 sleepovers at our house with 2 of his friends. Our DD who is now 5 has never had a sleepover really - my MIL babysat overnight at our house last year while we were away in town for the night and our DD was not very happy about it, so I think she is not ready for a sleepover yet, but when she is and if it is with someone I trust I don't have a problem with it. I loved sleepovers when I was a kid!! N

Bulbasaur is offline Life is to short to live without icecream
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I haven't read the replies but I can't imagine a childhood without sleep overs. I do understand where the op is coming from but I don't think ild be able to say no. Ild have to have meet the friends parents a fair few times. As for grandparents, I def would allow this. Tho my views could change my kids are still little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

No sarcasm.
    I had never thought of myself as "lucky".
    That's all.
    Would" fortunate" have sounded better?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am very particular about sleepovers, for good reason. My children won't be having them with anyone but a select few family members who I trust explicitly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (12-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I have no idea. I imagine we'll err on the side of overprotective though.

DS is almost 2 and we are yet to let him sleepover anywhere. There are no concerns with my parents in terms of fear of abuse, we would be more concerned that they may not be as vigilant with supervision and he may hurt himself whilst in their care (he is the kind of kid who gets into everything & would run for the hills if a door was left open).

I think it will be lovely for him to occasionally sleep over at his grandparents house when he grows up a little more