+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Id say 7 and up for the "slumber party" type sleepover. And he's been sleeping over with grandparents since he was a baby.

Like most parents im sure id be more comfortable if the sleepovers were at our house, but as Shelle65 says educating your children and giving them coping skills is often a better way of protecting them than just not letting them go to activities which are a pretty normal part of childhood.
    Last edited by WineTime; 11-01-2013 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: *Trigger Topic* Sleepovers.. What age/with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Id say 7 and up for the "slumber party" type sleepover. And he's been sleeping over with grandparents since he was a baby.

Like most parents im sure id be more comfortable if the sleepovers were at our house, but as Shelle65 says educating your children and giving them coping skills is often a better way of protecting them than just not letting them go to activities which are a pretty normal part of childhood.
    Well yes this is true.. But "normal" is different for everyone. I didn't go to sleepovers till high school... That was normal for me.

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    DD has had sleepovers at grandparents from an early age.

Slept over at my sisters also from fairly early on.

We tried a sleepover or 2 with some friends when she was 5, but it was a bit too early and the girls (her and friend) were not so easy.

From 6 or so she has had sleepovers at 2 different friends houses, and those friends at mine - and they have all had a ball. It is with friends who's parents I know fairly well though.

There are some friends I dont let her go over, much less have a sleepover ... but there are some that I wouldnt have an issue with letting her stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you actually want to hear other people opinions? You always seem to get your back up when someone doesn't agree with you or tell you what you want to hear.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well I must be a terrible mother. DD1 has been having sleepovers at my best friend's house since she was 3! She loves them and regularly has them at friends. She had a small hiatus around 5 when we moved to Perth but now we have made friends with some wonderful people she's been back up and running since 6.

We don't live near any family so we've built an urban family for our kids. It's my support network of other mums from school. She is also a bit of a sleepover queen.

DD2 is 3 and won't start til she's ready. Every child is different so not sure when that will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I trust my parents implicitly, he has sleepovers there maybe 5-6 times per year and they all have an absolute blast - I can't imagine taking that experience away from them.

As for others, I would have children sleep at my house but I'd have to know somebody pretty well to allow him over to theirs for the night.

Unfortunately, I can't always control where he goes or who he is with as I have separated from his father and on his father's watch I have no control over who he sees, so like PPs I have to arm him with information..thankfully visits with his dad are very few and far between!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default *Trigger Topic* Sleepovers.. What age/with whom?

DD is 3 and sleeps over with my parents once a week.

She has been doing this for about 6 months now, she absolutely loves it! I don't really trust anyone else to let her stay with them (not because of abuse though) but I'd happily have sleep overs here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    My DD has sleepovers at her grandparents' and cousins' houses all the time, and has since she was a toddler. I don't think sleepovers at friends' houses will happen for a few years yet.

I don't really see the need to protect her by shielding her, I am trying to provide her with the knowledge and tools to know what is appropriate and inappropriate and to speak up if she is uncomfortable.
    I agree. I had sleepovers probably from around 7. DS has had grand parent sleepovers from about 4 months I think, only a few times.

I think it's important to not let fear of these things rule you or what you want for your kids.

What about school camps OP? Most primary schools do sleepover from grade 2 and then camps from grade 3.

Thanks
    Reviews

My eldest DD didn't do much sleepovers until about 12, apart from grandparents or close family friend.

My others 14 on rare occasion has sleepover at friends but 10 yr old doesn't.

Purely because boys probably don't do it as much as girls. My 14 yr old I'd be ok with but my 10 yr old I'd worry about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really don't know tbh... I'm just going to play it by ear.

I'll just go with my guts when the situation arises. As it is he's only 2 and has stated at nanny and Poppy's a couple of times and with daddy occasionally.