+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *Trigger Topic* Sleepovers.. What age/with whom?

What age did you/will you allow your child to sleep over at either family or friends house?

Personally when it comes to child abuse I feel that I'd rather be seen as an over protective mother who doesn't let her child sleep over ANYONES house (by anyone that includes extended family).

I guess I'm just super paranoid about childhood sexual abuse (even though I was never abused) since everything you read says it's almost always a close family member or friend... Therefore I'd rather just ban sleepovers all together.

What do you think? How do you protect your children in this aspect?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (12-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Extended family? Such as grandparents??
    I couldn't even fathom the idea of my children never having a night with their extended family.
    They have an extremely close and important relationship with 4 of their grandparents and spend lots of time with them.
    I'd rather run that very very small risk that my parents are p3adophiles and I've got it wrong all these years than stop them from having such a wonderful and special bond with the 4 of them.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (11-01-2013),Cleigh  (11-01-2013),MuminMind  (12-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My parents were the super protective types and the first time we slept over at our maternal grandparents house was when I was 11yo for 2 nights. Then the next time was when I was 18 and crashed at a friends place.

My mother was an abuse victim and would never ever leave us with any male relative other than our father. The only female ppl she trusted with us were her mother and sister.

For our children - dd1 has stayed at my mums place for 3 nights. And has been babysat by mum and the in laws at our place a few times. All hospital related absences.

Otherwise I see no need to have 'sleepovers' till late primary.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 11-01-2013 at 13:43.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: *Trigger Topic* Sleepovers.. What age/with whom?

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Extended family? Such as grandparents??
    I couldn't even fathom the idea of my children never having a night with their extended family.
    They have an extremely close and important relationship with 4 of their grandparents and spend lots of time with them.
    I'd rather run that very very small risk that my parents are p3adophiles and I've got it wrong all these years than stop them from having such a wonderful and special bond with the 4 of them.
    Ok, maybe I should have said anyone other than grandparents. My parents didn't abuse me so I have no reason to believe they would abuse my son.

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd has been sleeping at her step dads since she was 3, she is now 8 and her and her brother (his son) go. DS is 2.5 and has been sleeping over since he was 1 as we are separated.

They sleep at my mums and have since little.

Thanks
    Reviews

And not having sleepovers doesn't mean they can't have a very special and close bond.. IMO

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Depends on the family. The only family they'd have a sleepover without me would be my dad so that has no minimum age.
    I'd let them sleepover at my besties (she has two young children so they may count as friends) and that also has no age.

For their friends? Probably at friends places from around 7 or so.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My parents were the super protective types and the first time we slept over at our maternal grandparents house was when I was 11yo for 2 nights. Then the next time was when I was 18 and crashed at a friends place.

Otherwise I see no need to have 'sleepovers' till late primary.
    This is what I was trying to get at

Do you feel that you missed out on any close bonds or fun times by NOT being allowed to sleep over much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Gosh this will be a hard one for me as I was the slumber party queen as a child and have such great memories of all the parties we had so I want DS to experience that but yes I do worry - I had up to I think 12 girls at my 10th birthday slumber party and mum and dad always made them very fun , i slept over my friends houses all the time as well and I look forward to doing that with DS too but it's sad that we have to worry like this!

I have absolutely no problems with DS sleeping over at my siblings or In laws houses and he sleeps over at nan and pops now most Saturday nights , I've had my nieces sleep over here with us many times so I suppose it will have to come down to who is hosting the sleep over and how old he is , but I do intend to invite his friends here ( at least I know his cousins will come!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has sleepovers at her grandparents' and cousins' houses all the time, and has since she was a toddler. I don't think sleepovers at friends' houses will happen for a few years yet.

I don't really see the need to protect her by shielding her, I am trying to provide her with the knowledge and tools to know what is appropriate and inappropriate and to speak up if she is uncomfortable.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (11-01-2013),Ellewood  (11-01-2013),FiveInTheBed  (12-01-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (13-01-2013),αληθη  (11-01-2013)