+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default What satisfies the work test for government paid parental leave?

Hi ladies,

I feel quite silly asking this but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'm actually hoping someone from Centrelink will stumble across this .

Everything that I've read says that paid leave satisfies the work test for PPL. I'm currently on maternity leave and will be returning to work at the end of January. Bub #2 is due mid September. I have been on maternity leave at quarter pay and am now on annual leave at half pay until I return.

Does this paid leave (maternity and annual leave) satisfy the work test?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ntal-leave-pay

This link should answer your question. Paid leave does count towards the Work Test so I think you would qualify. I would ring CL just to confirm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thank you. That's how I read it but I'm suddenly panicking that it's not the case. I did call CL but they have a wait time of at least 35 minutes so gave up on that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What satisfies the work test for government paid parental leave?

I'm in a similar boat trying to get through. The first advice I was given is that I wouldn't qualify, but trying to speak with someone else!

I was on paid mat leave until March 2012, then PPL until June 2012. Returned to paid work in July 2012 without knowing I was pregnant. So I'll only be back at work for 8mths.

The criteria states 10 of the 13 months prior, so I'm trying to find out if my paid mat leave (before PPL) also counts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It's so frustrating, isn't it? Their website is actually very light on true details and I just don't have the time to sit around waiting for someone to speak to me.

I might have to see if I can find the legislation...

ETA: I had a look at the PPL Guide from FAHCSIA and the only reference it makes is the following:

the concept of 'paid leave' is self-explanatory

I think I still want to talk to someone to confirm, but I read that as meaning that paid maternity leave is included.
    Last edited by Hamilicious; 11-01-2013 at 15:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I work with the Australian Government Department of Human Services in a team that responds to questions about Centrelink payments and services on social media sites like this.

1BabyMama has found the right content on our site, which is here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...e-pay#Worktest

To meet the Paid Parental Leave work test you must have:
    • worked for at least 10 of the 13 months before the birth or adoption of your child, and
    • worked for at least 330 hours in that 10-month period (just over one day a week), with no more than an eight-week gap between any two consecutive working days.
    If you were receiving a paid leave entitlement from your employer at the same time as government-funded Parental Leave Pay this also counts.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this. Best of luck with everything.