+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Devastated :(

Great idea London. I've just sent her a quick congratulatory message on fb and mentioned that dh and I were going to call our baby if it was a girl. I made a joke of it and said now we'll have to think of plan b so I'll see what she says.
    Yes you're right OJ, it is a very popular name! I didn't think of it that way.
    Thanks again everyone, you're all so lovely xxx

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I would speak to your coworker now and say "you wont believe it but we actually chose the exact same name for our baby. I feel awful but me and DH were set on the name so I hope you dont mind but our kids will be named the same" and kind of laugh about it.
    Id still use it. If you love it, use it, its a beautiful name.
    This is a great idea

Thanks
    Reviews

Adden I love the names Eli and Ella! I think they sound beautiful together! I would use them but we have cousins with those names lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to My Beloved Ones For This Useful Post:

adden  (11-01-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't have mentioned a plan B personally, I'd have just said "That's the name we picked! What a suprise!" and left it at that. You don't have to change your child's name because someone that you happen to know has a child with the same name.
    Lily Rose is exactly what we would have used had we had a girl, and while I was researching name combos Lily Rose was actually far more common than we thought. So it's not like you've picked a really unusual name and copied it! You just happen to like a name that someone else liked .

My mum had a friend who had two daughters at the same time that mum had myself and my sister. Mum told her the names that she wanted to use (which weren't common at all back then) and the other woman used my older sister's name for her oldest, and my name for her youngest. Born a couple of days before us each time!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hugs, how upsetting for you...

Another spin on it is what about lengthening the first name and using Mila as her nickname ie. Amelia / Emelia / Emilia Rose.

I also like the idea of keeping the same first name and using a different flower name for the middle name.

Another alternative could be first name Mila-Rose and another completely different middle name or Mila as first name and have hyphenated second name with Rose.

If all else fails, just stick with Mila Rose, it's a beautiful name! In 10, 5 or even 2 years you may not even be in contact with your co worker and it won't matter.

Good luck!
    Last edited by babylove81; 11-01-2013 at 13:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always look at these name issues like this, expecially if it is a friend/collegue/neighbour whatever -
    Will I even associate with this person in 5/7/10yrs time?
    Will I be so close, us having children with the same name will be a problem?
    Will the children with the same name even know or meet each other?
    Who really cares? There are lots of people with the same name out there...

I look back 5 yrs/9yrs etc and not many of the associates in my life are still around...does it really matter if you have children with the same name??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Devastated :(

Who care what they all think. It's not like you'll be at the same workplace you're entire life... Either you or she will move on at some point and your going to meet other people who picked the same name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a gorgeous name, and like already mentioned it is becoming popular now. I'm sure the two babies will never hardly see each other. So don't worry too much, I can see why you would be upset though.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ive thought more about this for some reason

If it was me, and she wrote back saying she would prefer if you changed the name or gave you that impressing, Id be saying "hmm, sorry but we really love the name. Im surprised how popular its becoming actually, I though it was a bit rarer than it is!". DONT let someone else dictate what you name your child. She might be uppity, and thats fine.......thats her choice...your choice is what you name YOUR child

Thanks
    Reviews

I just wanted to say that we are in a similar situation! My friend from mothers group had a baby girl in August and called her the exact name we have planned for this baby (we know we are having another girl).

When she sent the text out I was so surprised! We had never discussed names. So I decided to tell her and kinda said I can't believe this but that's out exact girl name and we still love it and she was fine with it. We have since changed the middle name but that's because we found something we like better.

We do see each other regularly as our first babies are born days apart and play well together. I would say we are close friends but I know our paths will cross a lot as we live in a small town and our kids will all go to kinder and playgroup and school together but neither of us mind.

So I am still using the name but with a different middle name and I don't care what anyone thinks. If they comment il just say we have that name for a long time and love it!