+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swimming whilst pregnant

Does anybody else swim for fitness? What do you find the best workout for in the pool ?

Thanks
    Reviews

I just did breaststroke laps during both pregnancies and felt it really helped ease my back pain. I'm not a very strong swimmer so this was the easiest for me. Keep in mind that if u have hip or groin pain this is the worst stroke to do. A lot of people do aqua aerobics and find this a really gentle workout.

Thanks
    Reviews

I've been swimming most days because I have a genetic condition that makes any exercise that isn't no-impact too stressful for my joints.

I usually do laps of sidestroke because I hate swimming caps and I don't like getting my hair wet. LOL.

I also do some laps with a kick board to try and strengthen my legs for carrying a baby.

I also do tread water.

I'm supposed to be walking in the pool, but I can't find a pool that's the right depth to do this in.

My ob recommended NOT starting aqua aerobics now that I'm already pregnant. She said it's best to start slowly, and aqua aerobics is pretty strenuous!

Stephanie Rice was on the Today Show this morning as suggested that beginners wear flippers when using a kick board to build up strength, so I'm going to get some today

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Here Kitty;
    Stephanie Rice was on the Today Show this morning as suggested that beginners wear flippers when using a kick board to build up strength, so I'm going to get some today
    Flippers would def help. If I try using a kick board I just splash around going nowhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I swam 4 times a week for the entire pregnancy with my first. I did freestyle stroke non stop for 20 minutes. It's a great workout when you get really big and walking becomes awkward.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We have a swimming pool (when it's hot) I jump on the noodle and rise a bike? Lol if you get what I mean.. Move my arms around and I purchased some weights from Clarke rubber for the pool

Thanks
    Reviews

I do Aqua aerobics and started when pregnant my ob recommended me to do it! As long as you tell your instructor that you are pregnant they modify some of the exercises for me. Bearing in mind you can so the really easy aqua classes which is what I do, it's just me and full of seniors which is quite amusing or the really intense ones obviously you want the easy one! I love it because I'm there for an hour I do what the instructor tells me to do and I'm done no thinking or making myself do it!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm starting pre natal aqua classes at a physio. I think as long as its a physio and designed for pre natal it's fine!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a small pool on my yard (like 8m long). I am 39 wks pregnant and yesterday i did-
    10 laps up and back breaststroke
    10 laps up and back walking/wading through water
    10 laps up and back freestyle
    10 laps up and back side walk (whilst jumping lol)
    Then I repeated this 4-5 times. Tool about 45-60 mins

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah i think swimming or aqua aerobics is a good idea, low impact. i used to run alot but now i am switching to water based activities just to be safe.