+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What's the best way to pack a house...

Hey ladies

I'm supposed to be moving house in 2-3 weeks, and I am struggling to pack anything. I have a baby attached to me 100% of the time with one running around my feet.
    The house is a pigstye and I just can't get my head around how to start packing or what order or something something....

How should I pack toys? In what? We have so many new toys!

What's the best way to pack?
    Do you have any tips to packing with a few small kiddies?

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: What's the best way to pack a house...

Get boxes (Bunnings are good) and just start putting away things you don't use. Label & seal so the kids can't pull it out again. Keep out enough for immediate use (so put away all but 6 towels, all winter stuff etc).
    Basically just whittle it down so you have less to deal with close to the move.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Pack things that you don't regularly use now, also taking the opportunity to do a cull. Throw out unsuable things and sell or donate things in good condition. Plastic storage tubs are great for toys as you can still use store them that way in your new house. When we moved, we packed majority of dd's room up at the last minute and set it up first so that she had somewhere to play/sleep while we sorted through the rest of the house.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with all of the above. Also do one room at a time. Pack away all the things you won't need to use. When we moved I also left out a box with snacks, tea/coffee, kettle, cups etc and I also set up the TV and the kids rooms first at the new house.

Also don't cram as much as you can into each box, make sure that they aren't too heavy.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Do a cull
    Lifeline will send around a bin and you can just fill it up and send it back. If you can afford a small skip, I'd get one of those too, just to fill with stuff that can't be donated to charity and you really don't want to take with you. Don't pack rubbish or things you no longer have a need or use for, it takes long enough to pack a house, donate if it's useable or chuck it if it's not.

Start filling boxes, go room by room packing the stuff that isn't essential, label every box as you go. Start culling the pantry today. In the last week, start packing the everyday stuff, and just make do until moving day.

On moving day, pack a box with snacks, lunch type things, water bottles, the kettle etc, fresh sheets, a teatowel and so on.

Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

lones  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did this - got heaps of tea chest boxes from the supplier warehouse (about $2-3 each) and put 2-3 in each room (or more if you have a lot) and packed things from that room into each box and labelled the box on the outside the room plus what's in the box. I used more boxes than needed as it meant I could pack most things ahead of time and easily pull things out as I needed them. It wasn't too bad at all. The cleaning afterwards is the sucky part but I got exDP to organise it I didn't touch it!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I did this - got heaps of tea chest boxes from the supplier warehouse (about $2-3 each) and put 2-3 in each room (or more if you have a lot) and packed things from that room into each box and labelled the box on the outside the room plus what's in the box. I used more boxes than needed as it meant I could pack most things ahead of time and easily pull things out as I needed them. It wasn't too bad at all. The cleaning afterwards is the sucky part but I got exDP to organise it I didn't touch it!
    I do similar to this.

Thanks
    Reviews

OMG.....I just did this with a DD going through a wonder week and just wanting to be held 24/7 and the sweltering heat!!

I would plop her in her swing or high chair with new toys each rotation or a little bright starts chair that swivels around an activity pedestal for bursts short enough to do a box then pick her up and have a play. Its amazing how quickly you can do a box. Or wore her in an ergo. Time consuming and tiring but it got the job done. It took 2 weeks+ but finished eventually. Even though your place will look like a bomb hit for several weeks doing a bit each day is the only way to go.

I started with things we weren't going to use - toys were last and packed the night before. Most big toys (swings etc) I put in Wheelie bin rubbish bags (the massive ones) to protect them from getting dirty in the truck - they dont need to be boxes and smaller toys I dumped together in a big box or some large zip up bags. With babies things used for changes/bath which were used right up to when we left we just dumped them in the back of the car.

The key is trying not to feel overwhelmed (though its hard not to at the start) you'll get through it -eventually! Oh and buy boxes if you can - we hit some from Kennards as trying to source them from shops was near impossible with everyone using compactuses these days! Good luck...

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok... So I'm really anal about moving but this is what I've planned as I'll be moving in the next 3.5 weeks myself. I've found this is the easiest way for me and the Removalists.

I've got a spreadsheet with all our rooms listed on it then each room has a breakdown for major stuff in each room.

Example - SD's Room - 'A'
    - clothes & shoes (big box) A1
    - books (small box) A2
    - arts & crafts + drawers (small box) A3
    - fragiles (small box) A4

Then I have the floor plan for our new house and this has SD's room in yellow highlighter marked A and all of her boxes have a yellow label with A in large print and a number in smaller print just so I know what's in each box.

I do this for all of the rooms. SD's toys are already in containers so they'll just go straight into the truck with a yellow label and marked A. I've packed our house before so I roughly know how many/what size boxes we need. We purchased our boxes from the removalists last time and we've kept them along with mattress protectors etc (we knew we'd be moving in just over a year). I find the plan helps the movers to just get on with it so I don't have to be in a million places at once. The spreadsheet allows me to ensure that no boxes are missing and if I need something I can find it quickly.

I also place where I want furniture put on the plan as I'm pg (again) with this move so can't help DH move things if it's not right (not that I want to anyway). I do A4 pieces of paper and blue tack it to the doors for convenience like A or LIVING ROOM etc so people know where to go.

DD being little, her toy containers will be put into our car so they are easily accessible.

Clothes that we are wearing that week we put in our suitcases and will also go in the car. I keep a cleaning box with a first aid kit in it too. As well as a snack box with water etc.

As for actually packing, I tend to do a big cull of everything at the end and middle of the year anyway so it's not too bad for us. I have a laundry hamper that I drag around for stuff for St Vinnies. If there's rubbish I throw it into the hall and it's DH's job to put it in the bin of an evening. I *hate* him packing so that's all I ask of him.

I usually pack in the last week before moving. We stack the boxes as close to the front door as possible ensuring enough room to get the big stuff out first.

We also keep hooks for paintings etc aside so we can put these up as soon as possible when they are unloaded or unpacked.

We had such a smooth transition from our last house to this rental so I'm hoping this move will be the same.

Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ElleB For This Useful Post:

lones  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Cull hard! And then cull again.

Get boxes and labels and pack up rooms with things you don't use first from each room. Label everything, cull again as you fill boxes.

Have a room to stack packed boxes and furniture ready to go.

When you unpack... Cull again

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

lones  (11-01-2013)