+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction

Hi just have a couple of ?'s re induction.
    How far along were u?
    What method did they use (gel, drip etc)?
    How painful was the actual administration of it?
    Were contractions excruciating? (as I have heard?)
    How long was your labour after being induced?
    Did u need further intervention?
    Thanks so much!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Hi - I was 42+2 with DS.
    I had at least one stretch and sweep and 2 applications of gel but there was nothing. I ended up with the syntocin drip and the contractions were exrutiating from the get-go. Labour was about 12 hours. I had to have an epidural as there was no way I could have managed the pain. I also had ARM, continual monitoring, possibly an episiotomy, vacuum delivery and ended in a 3rd degree tear. All in all it was a rather awful experience. Having had now experienced a spontaneous, intervention free birth I would aim for that every single time.

I'm not writing this to try and scare you, just to make you aware that induction is not ideal and it seems many mws and obs can be a bit induction happy. However, inductions, particularly for first time mothers carries big risks that often are not disclosed to the mother. Furthermore, the mother is often not given any suggested alternatives to induction. Some people have terrific experiences with their induction and that's great. I would wager that most have less than ideal experiences with common themes being needing further intervention, epidurals to relieve mind-blowing pain and something like 25% ending in emergency cs (which I narrowly escaped).

Do you have a longer cycle? Due dates are usually calculated on 28 day cycles but if you have a longer cycle your due date should accommodate this. As your OB/MW what the risks of induction are and the actual stats (not just 'high' or 'low') so YOU can decide what level of risk you are comfortable with. Risks include assisted delivery (forceps or vacuum) which is traumatic and greatly increases the chance of tearing which then can lead to incontinence issues, uterine rupture and emergency CS. There is also the very real possibility of feeling like a bit of a failure if you have a traumatic birth (not saying you or anyone else is, but emotions are not logical!!) Breastfeeding can also be difficult to establish if you've had a highly medicated or traumatic birth.

So, in saying all that, ask your OB/MW
    - what are my alternatives to induction?
    - what are the risks of being induced?
    - what are the risks of not being induced?
    - how does this change the closer or further away from the due date?
    - can I be monitored regularly for a few days/week instead of being induced?
    - is there any other alternatives they can suggest to being induced?

Best of luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsTheNewBlack View Post
    How far along were u?
    Thanks so much!
    With DD1 I was 40 + 12. I had the Prostin, ERM and Syntocin. Yes the contractions were unbearable as they were right on top of each other and not much of a break inbetween. 7 hour labour. No intervention but I did have an epidural.

With DS I was 40 + 8. Pretty much exactly the same as DD1.

With DD2 I was 40 + 1. Different Obsterician this time and I only had a very small dose of Prostin (I think 1ml). Contractions were fine until I reach 6cm and then they were unbearable so I asked for an epidural but I went from 6cm to 10cm in 10 - 15 minutes, so it was to late. Labour was about 3 hours. No intervention. I also had no tearing or stiches with any of my labours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    40 +11 and I had pre eclampsia. Was induced with cervadil at about 10pm. Started feeling contractions at about 8am. Waters broke naturally at 5pm (ish). Bubs born at 8pm with no further intervention require. The contractions built up slowly and I didn't need any pain relief. I think my body just needed a jumpstart and then it took over.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Induction

How far along were u?
    Thanks so much!
    I was 38 weeks when my waters broke. As I had GD I was told to go straight into hospy when they broke, from where I was offered the choice of immediate induction or to wait 24 hours then induce. Well, I was already there, so I elected to induce.

I had the drip - the only pain was the intern trying to find a good vein who gouged several holes in my hands (with blood spurting to the floor!). I went immediately into back-to-back contractions which were agonizing, although I can't compare them to 'normal' ones. I remember thinking to myself 'stop being such a wuss, it's still early!', but then I found out I had dilated 7cm in the first hour. As I've said elsewhere, I waited over three hours for pain relief, and when the anaesthetist came I was at 9.5cm, permanently contracting and couldn't bend my body the way he needed for the epi, so pain relief free it was!

In total, labour was 7 intense hours, including 42 minutes of pushing. When I compare it to my bestie, who laboured for over 60 hours including 9 of pushing, I am grateful for mine, even though it was so painful and full-on.

I ended up haemorrhaging badly and the placenta snapped off inside me (my husband believes that was due to midwife error as he watched it happen) and I ended up in theatre under general to retrieve it, where they stitched me up also, with only a couple of stitches. I had three blood transfusions too.

Recovered very well and quickly too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    baby no1
    How far along were u? 40 weeks
    What method did they use (gel, drip etc)? gel
    How painful was the actual administration of it? wasn't
    Were contractions excruciating? (as I have heard?) great/normal easy labour
    How long was your labour after being induced? 18
    Did u need further intervention? no

baby no 3
    How far along were u? 39 weeks after labour repeated stalling
    What method did they use (gel, drip etc)?drip
    How painful was the actual administration of it? like any other drip/needle
    Were contractions excruciating? (as I have heard?) ok
    How long was your labour after being induced? 12

baby no6
    How far along were u? 40 weeks (not favorable bad bishop score)
    What method did they use (gel, drip etc)? cervical (long story bad reaction to it from having so many kids) ARM and than drip
    How painful was the actual administration of it? not
    Were contractions excruciating? (as I have heard?) This is only relevant to people who had more 5 kids but it was worst labour ever because of the bad reaction.
    How long was your labour after being induced? 30 hrs over the 3 induction labour never stop in between just slowed
    Did u need further intervention? No

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Induction

How far along were u?
    Thanks so much!
    I got induced on my due date
    I arrived at hospital at midnight and had the gel put in and then slept until 6AM when my OB came and broke my water. Then at 9 I hasn't progressed so was put into the drip.
    Yes, the contractions were terrible! I was having 2 minute long contractions with only a minute in between so I asked for an epi.
    I had fully progress by 3:30 (so 6 and a half hours since the drip) but bub still hadn't engaged and half an hour I had an emergency c-section as bubs heart rate was dropping.

But don't let that scare you lol, I had a big bubba who was too big to fit in the birth canal so he never engaged so things never got moving on their own.

Everyone is different, I had a friend get induced and gave birth to her baby girl naturally and pain free in 1 hour and 45 minutes 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi there,

I was induced with my DS, I hope I can help:

How far along were u?

I was 38+3, went in the day before as I'd started bleeding and had a hindwater leak. I was already 2cm dilated, so they gave me 24 hours to go into active labour before doing anything.

Waters were broken and then I was put on the drip.

Not painful at all, the cannula stings a little going in.

No, but they did come on very quickly and there wasn't much time between contractions. I had pethidine which I found helped me rest.

Waters broken at 11.30am, synto administered at 3.30, considered to be in active labour at 5.00, DS born at 7.30pm.

No.

I was worried about being induced but I had a wonderful birth and would happily do it again if needed. I stayed active for as long as possible and even when on the bed I remained upright, which really helped. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

How far along were u? 39 weeks

What method did they use (gel, drip etc)? gel & syntocin (?)

How painful was the actual administration of it? gel hurt a bit as it was internal.dont think the drip hurt that I recall.

Were contractions excruciating? (as I have heard?) I had epidural. Contractions painful? what pain? lol

How long was your labour after being induced? 3hours

Did u need further intervention? No. No tearing. Pushed for 20 minutes
    Thanks so much!

Can I add that I had such a beautiful birth being induced. Controlled, fast and not much pain and quite easy... I am definately considering opting for induction this time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Induction

Thanks ladies