+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default My 3 day old has been awake 11 hours straight

She has been awake and feeding or crying since 6pm. It's 4.30am. We've had 3 nights of this but my milk came in yesterday so she should have settled by now. She is on the boob, drinks and falls asleep then wakes a minute later, probably from wind and a sore tummy. I have tried a dummy, swing, bath, heat pack in the bed, rocking chair, fit ball, etc. She's doing heaps of poos. The only way to stop the crying is put her back on the boob. I've had her just on the left side for the last 2-3 hours, she's still getting milk cos I can hear her swallowing.

What the hell am I doing wrong? How do I get some sleep.

Before anyone suggests cosleeping - NO!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: My 3 day old has been awake 11 hours straight

Maybe you could try expressing so someone else could feed a little? That would at least get you some sleep to help you cope.

I'm sorry I can't be much more help. I hope you get some sleep and you have some help for during the day.

Is your baby too hot or cold? Wet nappy? Perhaps the clothes are irritating and you could try different ones? Just a few things I can think of that we tried..

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you have any formula you can top her up with, this happened to me with my baby and my milk just wasn't filling her up it only took 30ml of formula and she was happy & slept after that. Your not doing anything wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Expressing and having someone else feed so you can have a little nap might be good for your sanity

I was also going to say maybe check if she's too hot/cold.
    Or do the bum pat thing, that usually settles them down a little.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I don't have much to add, except to say definitely express some and get someone else to take a turn feeding so you can get some rest.

I hope you and bubs get a chance to sleep soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd did that on day 3 but we were still in hospital. The Paediatrician saw her in the morning. She had socks on that were too small and he said that even things like that can make a baby unsettled. Although it turns out that she was actually in pain from a broken collar bone. It was suspected from birth, but she had a normal X-Ray which can happen (and they warned me about it). All attempts at formula top-ups and frequent breastfeeds, etc made no difference. So, I gave her to the midwive who took her to sleep in special care (I was in a private hospital) and of course she slept didn't she?

So, I suggest that if it's still the middle of the night get someone to take bubs if at all possible and get some sleep yourself even if it's just an hour. And, otherwise I recommend getting bubs checked out for a medical reason for being so unsettled - either at your GP or ring the hospital ward where you had bubs to see if you can go back there today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    duckduckgoose - you aren't doing anything wrong. How did you go? Has bub settled a little? Did you get a rest? I hope bub settled down for you.

Assuming bub is swaddled comfortably and is warm enough. Remember that bub came from your belly and was in a warm 38 degree environment, so they need to be kept relatively warm.

Unfortunately, once bub gets overtired, it may be more difficult to get bub to seep for a little bit.

I could suggest bum tapping, back rubbing or playing white noise. Some people find music in the room helps, or some people have found putting the washing machine on and having bub in bassinet next to it can help. If white noise helps, you can buy CD's or I'm sure you could download it to an ipod from somewhere on the internet.

Perhaps you could try wearing bub during the day in a sling if he/she doesn't settle. Often they will sleep against you as they hear your heart.

Bub doesn't know the difference between night and day at this time either so that can be really frustrating.

Try and take it easy on yourself, and use whatever support people offer you. Also, don't be ashamed to ask for help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you think bub is waking in pain from wind, prop the bed head of the bassinet up so bub's head is a little higher - in case bub has a bit of reflux

Thanks
    Reviews

This is what worked for me (in the heat).
    A big breastfeed followed by a big burp (I found laying her on her tummy the best way to get a burp up, or her tummy over my shoulder).
    A deep bath, place a face cloth over the tummy to sooth her. Preferably do this under minimal lighting.
    Try stay calm yourself - hard I know!
    If you have air con, make the room cool and swaddled bub tightly, really securely. Do this in a dark cool room, maybe with some soothing music. If she is screaming just talk softly to her as you are doing it.
    Give her another feed but only let her suck for about 15min. Hold her on your shoulder, or gently rock until she relaxes. Try a dummy again if she wants to comfort suck.
    I still have to do this with my 10 month old dome nights.
    I hope you get some sleep soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You aren't doing anything wrong.
    I haven't really got any advice other than what you have already gotten.

Maybe hop in the bath with her though? Just relax and feed in there.

I hope you get some Sleep soon.
    Just keep in mind. It won't last long. It won't last long