+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default chances of elective c-section in public hospital vic

i am just wondering if anyone here has had an elective c section in a public hospital, i have always wanted a big family but after the recent birth of my second child i was come to the conclusion that im simply not that good at it...i had my dd 2.5 years ago it was a lobg and slow labour went for about 20 hours and had only made it to 4cm so they put me on the drip to induce meand broke my waters where they found meconium so i had the external monitor on and was stuck in bed...then they decided internal monitoring would be better and 17 hours after they broke my waters she was here gifting me with a lovely second degree tear...my ds on the other hand is now 2 months old...everyone promised a shorter less complicated labour...they lied lol..

i spent about 12 hours prior to hospital with semi comfortable contractions that couldnt make up theyre mind as to what they wanted to do eventually went into hosoital from the moment i got in they placed a drip in my hand because they anticipated haemoraging because ds was so big which made me nervous and loose all control and calm over my contractions while this time it only took me 3 hours to get to 5cm they broke my waters and yet again there was meconium so i was stuck in bed with an internal monitor again!! then they brought in that dreaded drip and contractions increased ten fold 17 hours later it was time to push...i tried and tried but got no where for 2 hours then something happened still not too sure what exectly doc came in all jumpy with forceps in toe up went the styrups and while it only took a few contractions to get my 9 lb 14 oz ds here it was the most horrific painful experience of my life and more or less ruined my first moments with my boy...

i know everyone says you forget the pain etc etc and i know this to be true hence why i have the two kids lol but this time i honestly think it has mentally scarred me and unfortunately the memory is not going away...

this is why i would not even want to get pregnant again without knowing i could have a c section

so long winded way of getting to the point but with this as my past experience and the size of ds doea anyone know whether i would be able to get an elec in the public section?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing... My sister recently had an elective c-section with her first in a public Vic hospital. Her reason was that she felt scared/stressed at the tought of a vaginally delivery and had always envisaged a c-section. She explained her fears, demonstrated she understood the risks and after trying to talk her out of it (to which she stood her ground), they booked her in.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juzz For This Useful Post:

munchkinz  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Sorry for your experiences. I haven't been in your circumstance but I know someone (not in VIC) who had two births in a public hospital. The first was a traumatic vaginal birth. The second was an elective csec. All she had to do was explain How she was traumatized from her first birth.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

munchkinz  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    All good news so far then I only know what I've read from other threads and it seems to be a very gray area... With ds there was no time for an emergency c section Thats why the forceps were used as much as I'm glad that i didn't have to have an emergency after such a tiring labour i almost wish i did so i knew i would be able to have another with no trouble.
    not that another child is on the cards so soon but i want to know my options before i get to the point of wanting another

My worst fear now is if i were to get pregnant and was not granted a c section

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzz View Post
    You poor thing... My sister recently had an elective c-section with her first in a public Vic hospital. Her reason was that she felt scared/stressed at the tought of a vaginally delivery and had always envisaged a c-section. She explained her fears, demonstrated she understood the risks and after trying to talk her out of it (to which she stood her ground), they booked her in.

Good luck
    do you mind me asking what hospital she went to?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

I had an elective c-sec at a public hospital. My understanding is, because you have a genuine psychological reason on top of your physical experience last time, you would be genuinely considered and most likely accepted.

I had one mostly because of twins, which are considered high risk, but the choice was ultimately left up to me. My on did try and talk me out of it, but she was also very understanding and booked me in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

munchkinz  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    does anyone know who i would talk to to get an idea of whether my request would be taken into consideration without me being pregnant?

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Speak to your GP about it, they can organize a referral to a psych who will be able to write a report for you.
    As I had a C-section (emergency) with DS after I got to 9cm dilated and I was allowed to go elective for this one. Had I not had that guarantee I would not be pregnant now. I would opt to have my tubes tied and never have any more children because his birth was that painful and traumatic.

I spoke to my GP before I was even pregnant about it, and he said that in the event that I fell pregnant he knew a psych who would write a report for me to give to the hospital as he felt that it would not be in my interests to birth naturally. No kidding, being a blubbering mess at the concept of labour when you're not even pregnant will do that! .

So my recommendation is to speak to your GP and get a referral to a psych. There are bulk billing ones that you can be referred to. Speak to them and let them know your fears and I would imagine that the fact that you're seeking assistance regarding the matter before you've even conceived should be enough to indicate that it would not be in your interests.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

munchkinz  (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i hope so eko i am seeing my gp on Thursday so i will bring it up. I sort of feel like she might think it a bit strange that i don't know when number three will be but am trying to sort stuff out now. But as you say I'm sure the fact that i am so terrified of the thought of labouring again should count for something and while I'm sure there have been a million worse birthing experiences than mine, for me they were as bad as it should have to get before being allowed to choose.

Now i am left wondering if there is an expiry date on referrals and whether I'm wasting my time? I know that really these are all questions for my gp but as you said you wouldn't be pregnant again without that guarantee of a c section, i am in the same mind i just want to know early on whether or not i will be having a third instead of guessing and being disappointed in the future

Thanks
    Reviews
    saw my gp today...and well she suggested that i hang up the towel on having children wouldn't refer me to anyone because i should be happy with DD and DS and just accept that I'm not made for having kids... She shattered me i will not be going back to her again such a lack of compassion. So I'm now on the hunt for a new doctor that can understand my desire for a large family and my fear of labouring again