+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default A mice that's too smart for traps?

Aww they're sooooo cute though! Hahaha! We used to have one exactly the same & eventually he got really cheeky and was on the couch one day so I trapped the cheeky bugger and we had a new pet! Went to the pet store and spent $70 on 'necessary' mouse paraphernalia but didn't have the courage to tell the pet store owner where our new friend had come from (shame). We had him for a couple of years but he eventually died. They're pretty disgusting, I wouldn't want them running all over the house either but some of them are just to cute to kill! Embarrassed to post this now!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a mouse problem for months. It drove us nuts! Especially with a newborn! It seemed that it came in from outside to play in our house, then went out again. There were never any droppings to follow or anything useful like that. We tried peanut butter, cheese, traps galore. We caught 1 mouse, but there were more. We blocked off every hole we could find (we would watch the mouse disappear through space we had no idea existed!!). In the end we ended up trapping a mouse in our lounge/dining/kitchen and it appeared it couldn't escape. It was quite active for about 3 days until we finally cornered it in the kitchen. We set up a video when it was behind the fridge and I stood & manned the entrance to the kitchen which we had blocked with wood & the one opening was straight into a container. My husband encouraged it out from the fridge & it ran directly into our trap. We put the lid on the container & my dh took it 5 minutes drive away and let it go .

We did put lots of bait outside though so that it decreased the number of mice around our house and I do recommend that too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my dp has an old vintage mouse trap, it's basically a wire cage with a tunnel at the top leading into it like this |v| (excuse my crappy diagram lol) you put the food in the cage and the mouse is meant to be able to get in but not out again so then gets trapped. And you can release it somewhere if you'd rather not kill it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

lones  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Charge him rent but only a little bit. And tell him he has to chip in with the housework and bills.

Clearly he likes your company so I presume he's single? In which case tell him no funny business should a girl mouse come along under any circumstances!

Whats his name?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Coop8818  (29-08-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: A mice that's too smart for traps?

We just recently used a trap ...it doesnt sound nice, but it worked! The normal "snap" traps weren't working.
    It is like a little tunnel, cone shaped on one end - you roll a small rubber O Ring on and set it on a lever after you pop peanut butter in the bait dish. The mouse crawls in, and its head triggers the lever thingy, and the o ring instantly goes around their neck, they can't get out without that happening. Then the mouse dies right next to the trap.
    It's not messy, and managed to catch two so far that were coming in through a hole that is impossible for us to fill as it has flexible pipes running through it.
    Got it from bunnings.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 11-01-2013 at 07:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    im going through the exact same thing unfortunately, if you find something that works , i'd love to know. So far we've tried to no avail : cheese, peanut butter, biscuit. Tried to physically catch him nothing....

Thanks
    Reviews

The only thing that worked for us are the big cheese traps from bunnings
    You need to find out where they are coming in tho cause they will invite their mates!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We just went through this! The mouse avoided the traps even when we used peanut butter. It was so frustrating because it was climbing into my pantry and nibbling through cracker boxes etc. and leaving its dropping everywhere. I did get some bait as well but it didn't seem to eat it. DH finally cornered it with the mop one night and took it for a walk and released it. We started getting a bad smell in our lounge room area and we could not work out where it was coming from but assumed another mouse had died somewhere as a result of the bait (DH wasn't impressed as he told me not to buy bait because he didn't want a mouse dying somewhere that we couldn't get to). 3 weeks went by before DH narrowed the smell down to our couch. He pulled the couch apart and lo and behold - a mouse had crawled inside and died in our couch!! So gross!! Anyway yes I think there are some mice that are too smart for traps and instead like to flaunt their presence as ours did.

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

We had a mouse problem almost 2 years ago and some would lick the peanut butter off the trap and it wouldn't go off!!!! Our problem was that being field mice they were so tiny and light. Solution? Cat, DiDnT take long for them to stay out of the house but I believe we still have alot in our roof. I didn't want to poison them as my silly bulldog would probably eat a dead mouse if he found one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    If you get a snake, burn the house down. Its the only answer
    I completely agree

Lol my cat was afraid of my pet rat. Was hilarious to watch
    Our cats were always afraid of our our pet rats too. The rats would attack them every opportunity they got. I think it's something to with domestic/lab rats as the cats had no issues going out and catching one from outside.l