+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Thumbs down PHI confusion!?

So my fiance and I are getting married in August and would like to start ttc asap after the big day. I am absolutely so confused about PHI. Waiting periods and what they actually cover is doing my head is as obviously we want value for money and don't want to make a silly mistake because we didn't read it all thoroughly.

As we don't have cover at the moment we will have to wait until the 12 months is up as I understand the date of conception in the initial 12 month waiting period is considered pre existing and isnt covered.

I have pretty much said No to NIB as the waiting period is 24 months

I like the look of Medibank. HCF's website makes little to no sense.

*Anyway, am I right in saying to have a baby I would only need hospital cover?
    *When you have PHI do you pick your hospital?
    *If I have PHI am I guaranteed a private room or am I going to end up in a room full of women screaming 'get it out get it out!'?
    *Do you have PHI and why?

Thanks ladies - I know its long and question-ny but I really don't have a clue at what to expect but I just want to prepare and be covered in case.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default PHI confusion!?

I haven't done birth yet but I'm with MBP and the waiting period was 12 months for the hospital visit associated with birth not conception. This was also elaborated on in that if you went early unexpectedly you were still covered. I'd seek clarification on what you've been told. As I was told as long as I conceived more than 3 months post joining I'd be covered for birth.

We use ours all the time for extras. It's been awesome for chiropractor which has been a god send while pregnant. Gotta love my $4.50 consultations. Also been claiming my massage.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PR2bMum For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default PHI confusion!?

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkelle View Post
    So my fiance and I are getting married in August and would like to start ttc asap after the big day. I am absolutely so confused about PHI. Waiting periods and what they actually cover is doing my head is as obviously we want value for money and don't want to make a silly mistake because we didn't read it all thoroughly.

As we don't have cover at the moment we will have to wait until the 12 months is up as I understand the date of conception in the initial 12 month waiting period is considered pre existing and isnt covered.

I have pretty much said No to NIB as the waiting period is 24 months

I like the look of Medibank. HCF's website makes little to no sense.

*If I have PHI am I guaranteed a private room or am I going to end up in a room full of women screaming 'get it out get it out!'?

Thanks ladies - I know its long and question-ny but I really don't have a clue at what to expect but I just want to prepare and be covered in case.
    Yes you only need hospital to be covered for pregnancy.
    You can pick your hospital and will have a private room.

I have it (MBP) and I honestly think its essential, for us anyways. We have extras as well, but as we're young (19 & 22) we only have basic extras as things like hip replacement definitely aren't needed for a while! Why pay for what you won't use? But what we are paying for is dentistry, optometrists (DF needs glasses), physio, etc and get 70% of out money back. And it's good for peace of mine to know that if something was to (god forbid) ever happen there wouldn't be a long wait to be seen by someone, waiting lists for operations, choosing your surgeon, private room etc. I loved having my own OB follow me throughout my pregnancy and help deliver my son.
    Yes some people think it's a 'waste of money' and it is a totally personal choice but for us as a family we use our extras often and prefer going through a private hospital so it's definitely money well spent.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PHI confusion!?

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkelle View Post
    - yes you only need hospital cover to have a baby privately. Just ensure that the plan you select covers maternity, budget plans don't.
    - yes you can pick your hospital. Or often if you choose your OB first, they tell you where they work from too.
    - birth suites are all private. Once you've had the baby, yes you get a private room. One of the big pluses!
    - waiting periods are typically 12mths, but that's total. So you just need to ensure you have cover at least 3mths before you fall preg (so get it now).
    - I'm with Bupa and wouldn't dream of not having it personally

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: PHI confusion!?

Sorry but a private room post birth or if you are admitted as an ante natal patient isn't guaranteed. If there is one available you will get it but most private hospitals do have some shared rooms and you may get one of them. If you read the standard information sheets from your health insurer it will state that it doesn't guarantee a private room.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Izy  (11-01-2013),sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default PHI confusion!?

I am with MBP and are very happy with them. A lot will depend on your chosen hospital (eg the hospital I birthed at does not have shared room for new Mums, they are used for observation, induction etc) so I was guaranteed my own room. Even in a shared room you won't have women yelling 'get it out', because a baby is born in a birth suit not on the ward
    I am a big fan of private hospitals for birth, but my main reason for having PHI is for my family so I think you need to work out what you want from PHI after you give birth and go from there. If you get a good family package, you can take obstetrics off when you have finished your family, but the way the public health system is, I would stick with a good level of hospital cover.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

Just a bit of advice... Standard information sheets are great to compare between funds, but they are in no way detailed.

For details of your product ask for a product sheet not a sis

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default PHI confusion!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Sorry but a private room post birth or if you are admitted as an ante natal patient isn't guaranteed. If there is one available you will get it but most private hospitals do have some shared rooms and you may get one of them. If you read the standard information sheets from your health insurer it will state that it doesn't guarantee a private room.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I was coming on to say this. I have been admitted to hospital not to give birth but the maternity ward with some complications only to share a room. Only til a lovely nurse changed me to a private room because I was so traumatised!

I am with medibank, it's overpriced & I don't feel I get that much back. I'm going to be looking at bupa for family cover.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger

And yes. The 12 month waiting period means you must have 12 months of cover before the date of service. Ie. The date you are treated.

Once you've served 12 months it doesn't matter anymore if it's something from 2 years ago or two hours

Spent from my dome. Excuse autocorrect

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default PHI confusion!?

Be aware also that if you go private you will still be out of pocket a substantial amount.
    We were about $5-6k out of pocket, as PHI doesn't cover anything except the hospital stay.
    Keep in mind expenses such as
    initial GP appts- two for blood tests
    OB appts -I had about 10 at $130 each
    scans -I had 4, dating, NT, 20wk and growth at 32, they were about $300 each
    OB management fee, $4k
    PHI excess- $500

Then afterwards a Paediatric bill for a checkup for bub before discharge (standard practice at our hospy?) of $200, don't know if I can claim any of this yet.

All the above can be claimed through Medicare (except excess), but it is minimal you get back. Once you hit the safety net it helps, but even then you don't get much of the management fee.

We just got the payment advice from PHI and they paid the hospy $4k for our 5 day stay. So it cost us more than they covered- but I had a completely straight forward textbook preg/birth. If things go wrong that's when the PHI comes into its own I would imagine.

We had a FANTASTIC experience at our hospy and I would go there a thousand times over.

Hope that helps!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CottonCandy For This Useful Post:

sprinkelle  (11-01-2013)