+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What do you do if your baby wants to sleep on their tummy?

My son is 16 weeks old, and shares my queen bed for all sleeps. He is very robust (8kg last time I weighed him).

For the last week or so, he rolls from his back to tummy during almost every sleep. I find him on his tummy, with his head facing the side. When I roll him back, he just rolls over again. During the sleep on his tummy, he stirs and changes his head from one side to the other. He cannot roll from tummy to back yet.

he doesn't tend to do it when I'm in the bed.

is the risk of tummy sleeping significant? Is it dangerous because not as much air circulates as if his nose and mouth were upwards? They are clear of the mattress.

I guess the upshot is that I'm wondering what other people do when their babies persistently roll during naps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

It freaked me out too when DD first started doing it. Child health told me that as long as I kept putting her down on her back and following all other safe sleeping guidelines- no cot bumpers etc in cot and so on- she would be fine if she rolled over by herself. It took a while for me to get used to but she was fine (and didn't take long to figure out how to roll the other way as well!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was always really anal about all the SIDS recommendations, I would be spending awake time giving him lots of tummy time to practice rolling back.

Once they start rolling there isn't that much you can do, my kids always slept in grobags so at least I knew with the rolling they wouldn't end up with their heads under the covers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't even think of the covers thing. That's a good point. I'm a long time co-sleeper but I'm pretty paranoid about blankets etc, but it's so hot now we are not sleeping with any covers thankfully, and rug him up when it's colder.

Hopefully he learns to roll the other way soon. He loves his tummy. Rolls to it at every opportunity and can happily spend ages doing tummy time.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My children were tummy sleepers as babies. I made sure I always put them to sleep on their back and followed all other SIDS recs. I didn't go to the cot all night long rolling them back over...they just rolled back onto tummy anyway, so it would have been pointless. It's more of a risk if they are put down to sleep on their tummies at a very young age, when they have poor neck control. I wouldn't worry at that age.

Also remember that the SIDS risks declines a lot from four months of age.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good to know about the 4 months. I don't follow the guidelines strictly anyway as we bedshare, but I've always been diligent about the tummy sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What do you do if your baby wants to sleep on their tummy?

your little guy sure loves his tummy!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Once they roll, there's not much you can do. My first baby was the same at that age.

I think the SIDS concern is more for babies who can't move their head and therefore get suffocated by their heads being face down.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If my children are happier on their tummies I let them sleep on their tummies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What do you do if your baby wants to sleep on their tummy?

Once they start rolling no u cant do much. My dd would always roll over from 10 weeks it drove me batty lol!

Id always put her down on her back and then if she rolled just trusted she could roll back if she needed

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub