+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    Who's called their kid pilot inspektor?
    I'm pretty sure it was Jason Lee - Earl, from my name is Earl...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tinkerbell is cruel yes! Maybe a famous person can pull it off cause they all have weird *** names and need to stand out from each other, but I'd feel cruel giving my kids thos sorts of names. I couldn't even call them by those names I'd feel silly saying it.
    "Tinkerbell come here please" Tink Tinky Bell..... ?????? it's like calling a pet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Neekie I've wondered if you wound up using that name. I still think about it sometimes as it did bring out strong emotions (me included). I think most people were upset about finding out about something they didn't know existed before that thread. You sound like an incredibly down to earth person who just likes funky names. No harm in that.

One of my first legal jobs was changing names for people by deed poll. I did a lot for people with unusually spelt names changing them to the traditional spelling. Most of these people had grown really tired of being made fun of and couldn't wait to change their names.
    My DH's mum intentionally spelled his name Josuha, instead of Joshua...(don't ask me why!) The registry office must have thought it was an unintentional spelling mistake so they 'fixed' it for her, to Joshua, the correct spelling. My DH is forever grateful to that registry office clerk!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

jellybub  (22-01-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (10-01-2013),Sariele  (11-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Neekie I've wondered if you wound up using that name. I still think about it sometimes as it did bring out strong emotions (me included). I think most people were upset about finding out about something they didn't know existed before that thread. You sound like an incredibly down to earth person who just likes funky names. No harm in that.

One of my first legal jobs was changing names for people by deed poll. I did a lot for people with unusually spelt names changing them to the traditional spelling. Most of these people had grown really tired of being made fun of and couldn't wait to change their names.
    Yeah, I remember you posting also
    I'll admit I did question myself on the name after that... But to DH and I it wasn't related to the subject in the thread and when we finally announced her name at her birth no one said a thing, and not a single person has and more people then not asked if we got her name from a Batman character, which she was. And we have had so many comments on how pretty it is

She can change it to the shortened version if she likes I like them both!

Thanks
    Reviews

Jason Lee
    Oh.... That's..... Ummm.... Over the line?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes some can be very cruel. Why would you do that to your child?

I've never understood when people want to use these crazy unusual names?

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol what about nicholas cage naming his son Kal-El, as in superman's Name on his home planet. Could he not have just stuck to clark?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissusMac View Post
    I met a kid the other day who had an outdated traditional name... Bruce. Bruce was a girl. Now THAT is cruel. So traditional names can be just as cruel as ewwneek ones.

I like different names, but not outrageous. I went to a rather large high school, and there was only 2 other girls at my school that shared my name - unlike some girls who had 2 in every class! I liked that. I wasn't made fun of for a weird name, but I didnt have to share it with a load of people.
    I think E v a n becoming a popular girls name is just as bad as Bruce.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LauraH80 View Post
    Just remembered a favourite celebrity name. Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame called his daughter Moxie Crimefighter! Always amuses me.
    That is so amusing.... I kinda want that as my middle name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I do think it's cruel in some ways. Especially the silly spellings. There are common alternatives like Elisabeth which is german, or Izobel which is spanish instead of Isobel.

I believe in some cases that parents place the to need to look trendy/original above their children who will face a lifetime of ridicule. Yes I know kids will tease over lots of things, but why deliberately make it worse for them? There is teaching resiliance which is important, and just being selfish imo.

Caleb is a beautiful name, thousands of years old. Why spell it Kahlyb? It still phonetically sounds the same, so it isn't original. Simply put that child is going to be spelling their name for the rest of their life bc their parents want to look sophisticated and cool (and failed miserably might I add). You aren't naming an animal you are naming a child, save the silly names for your guinea pig

Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    It depends on different people imo. Both my kids have unique names. They are not weird spelt or outrageous
    I love your DS2's name, it isn't common but it totally suits him
    Last edited by delirium; 10-01-2013 at 21:48. Reason: typo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (10-01-2013),Stiflers Mom  (10-01-2013)