+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Watching Guilliana (sp?) and bill and they named their son Edward Duke and they said he can be Duke of he was a footballer and edward in the office (not that Duke is a super crazy name)
    That made me think that if the parents love really crazy names maybe think to use it as a middle name so friends and family can all the child by the middle name but has he option

Peanutmonkey if my DH met you and your son I think he would high five you for using that name because he fought me VERY hard to use that name!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    Oh gosh that sounds like a pain!! How did they stuff it up on your marriage certificate though, wouldn't they have had to copy it off the forms? Hopeless!! My maiden name is a very common English name and I still had to spell it out every time and even have to spell my first name out sometimes and it's Lauren which I thought was very common but there must be a different way of spelling it!?
    I honestly have no idea, we have taken his birth certificate and our marriage certificate into the BD,M office about 4 times now, it's a massive stuff around.
    Every time we go in its a stuff around.
    The other problem seems to be that DH's birth certificate is from his country of birth, it's in a different language so translators get brought in.. Then they say its not their problem it's the celebrants problem, as his was the one who signed it under section 51 of the marriage ACT 1961 or something it pretty much falls on the celebrant, however the celebrants documents clearly state that the celebrants paper work has the correct spelling.
    BD,M say they will change it now but they need a full translated copy of DH's birth certificate and then we pay a fee for that, then another free for a new marriage certificate.
    So now we are waiting for an amended version.. It's been 4 weeks now which seems a bit long so we are preparing to have to go in again!!

I've read a lot about other people in similar positions as us, where the birth date was wrong, or names spelt wrong and they have had it fixed no problem.
    A lady in my mothers group had her sons name misspelt on his birth cert and it was fixed.
    I have no idea why we are being stuffed around.
    I'm ready to travel to a different office in the hopes we get some nicer treatment.
    I've have been married for 4 years now and it's just been such a PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I wouldn't call a boy Edward because of the connection to Edwards syndrome. It's just how I feel about those sort of names.
    I wouldn't call a boy Edward because people would think of a sparkly Tinkerbell-type vamp-fairy

My mum got my name from the 80s movie 'Electric Dreams', then spelt it wrongly by accident. Instead of '-line' or '-leine' it is -'laine' and not one single person in the history of ever has spelt it correctly after hearing it without seeing it written down. And even when I fill out forms it comes back wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Are unusual names cruel?

I used to think it was cruel, youll I named my daughter.

Norah
    Noah?
    No-Rah
    Oooh laura!
    No, No - rah

Normal name, yet constantly have to spell it out.

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That's weird Pregnor, Norah is a 'normal', and real name. Now if you spelt it Norrarr then I could understand lol

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-01-2013),SassyMummy  (11-01-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I love Norah; while it's not overly common I would have expected most people to be familiar with it.

Norah Jones?!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

RobinSparkles  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Apparently not!

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by mummabec View Post
    That's funny! My DP is Joshua too but spelt Joschua. Apparently it's a better name numerologically... Funny though now I find it really hard to leave the C out.

Also my DD's have unusual names the first more so than the second, however DP would not budge. It seems her name has never been in the top 2000 names even in America, however it is apparently Zac Efrons mums name lol.
    I worry about people judging her based in her name as it is pretty airy fairy and hippy. I'm secretly hoping she'll change her name to my choice when she's 18.
    OMG! For years that was my favourite girl's name (because of the Smashing Pumpkins song) & is still 2nd on my list... but I don't think DH would allow it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    My husband does this all the time as his name is a bit unusual, he can't be bothered spelling it out to people at shops so he just says Sam. I had to make a doctors appointment for him the other day and I said his name and then she asked what his first name was I was like umm I already said it haha!
    This reminds me of my husband...his surname is also a very common male first name. So he always gets asked 'what's your surname?', he gives it, and then they they say 'No, what's your SURNAME?'.... He also always gets called by his surname rather than his first name as people get confused. He doesn't really care though.

Just goes to show that surname's can be just as difficult, and we don't usually get a choice in those!

almai is online now "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I love Norah; while it's not overly common I would have expected most people to be familiar with it.

Norah Jones?!
    My great Nan's name was Norah. She passed away (aged 100!) the same day I conceived this bub. If i have a girl, her middle name will be Norah