+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The examples you have mentioned I think are cruel. I CANNOT stand the changed/abnormal spelling. That is beyond cruel. Sadly, I think it is happening more and more, so it won't seem so out of place in a few years times!

I love the first 2 kids names of Jamie Oliver. Not a fan of the last 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends on different people imo. Both my kids have unique names. They are not weird spelt or outrageous (eg, see above, jamie olivers kids). I gave them 'normal' middle names incase they wanted to change them later. I have a very very unique name and although i spend half my life spelling it, and teaching others to pronounce it, i still prefer my name over any one elses. I too have a 'normal' middle name and when i cannot be bothered with people i just state that instead.

FTR i think names like "bob", "bill"and "jack" are cruel as they would be forever wondering which jack, bill or bob was being spoken to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Poppy honey Rosie Oliver
    Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
    Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
    Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver
    Petal and Buddy are the only two I really find questionable.

Middle names aside.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WineTime View Post
    Agree with London (particularly the jamie oliver part). I really dislike 'fancy' spelling of names. And I do think parents need to consider the long term implications of eewneek names. A kid with an out-there name os always going to have to work harder to be taken seriously. It might not be fair, but it's a fact.
    I agree with this. It would be hard to take someone seriously if they were your solicitor and their name was Bluebell. I always remember a guy on Big Brother a few years back named Gaelan and the reactions to his name were hilarious but I felt a bit sorry for him as well. Makes me hope that NRL player Nathan Hindmarsh's kids don't grow up to be CEO's or mining magnates - their names are Buster and Rowdy. Rowdy is my DOG'S name lol!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It depends - taking a normal name and spelling it uniquely is cruel because everyone will automatically think "bogan" when they read it. I don't think the whole having to spell it is such an issue because I still have to spell my very normal, very popular name to people all the time.

Giving a child a unique name is only cruel if it makes people think "wtf?". Like there are some very pretty unusual names out there and then there are names like Tequila.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Uncommon names - no, especially if you can easily explain where you found that name/why you chose it
    Foreign names - no (especially if you or your partner are from another country/have a different heritage)
    Misspelled names like Kaeylb are just ridiculous. Whilst some names have multiple spellings (Kaitlyn/Caitlin/Caitlyn/Katelyn or Katrina/Catriona) that you can chose from, there are names that are and should be spelt one way only.

And for names that aren't even really names such as Pilot Inspektor...... dear lord

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think 'unique' with names is definitely subjective. I have heard a number of eyebrow raisers, but then I am perfectly aware that there are many people out there who view my own son's name as unique. (FTR: he has a perfectly legit, very 'old' name with a lot of history, but many people have never heard it before and assume we made it up).

I find it difficult to swallow the kre8ive spellings out there. I would much sooner name my child Petal, or even Buddy, than say Kaytlynn or Aydyn.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hashtag = CRUEL!!!

I don't think all unusual names are cruel. Some I think are quite cool.

I wonder if the famous kids with unusual names will get away with it (not bullied) because of their parents status

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I remember my art teacher telling us that when she went to Africa, several kids were named after random English items... like Ajax (as in the cleaner).

I actually thought that was kind of a cute/cool name. Still do. Wouldn't use it as an Australian, but it still sounds kinda cute.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Izy  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Are unusual names cruel?

Cruel? Of course not. Silly... Yes

I quite like Jamies kids names (first names)