+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    I do this too when ordering things! I just use either Emily, Hannah, Frankie or Charlie! Because listening to the people at boost juice try yell out Annntiiiniikkqquuuaaahh is way too painful to watch!! (not my name)
    My husband does this all the time as his name is a bit unusual, he can't be bothered spelling it out to people at shops so he just says Sam. I had to make a doctors appointment for him the other day and I said his name and then she asked what his first name was I was like umm I already said it haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Or a little boy in a laboratory who has an annoying blonde sister and was aired on Cartoon Network

This is what I always think of when I hear the name Dexter, and then I think of DeeDee and his mum with the big ol' yellow kitchen gloves. My eldest dd loved that cartoon so much. Got to admit I was pretty fond of it too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    I looked after a child called Lyriks, it suited him so much he is a beautiful child!
    I love love the name Harliquinn! It is amazing!
    These are some of my fave names for future children
    Kitty
    Amity
    Willow
    Everly
    Birdie
    River
    Cash
    Sailor
    Poppy
    Rose
    Daisy
    I like all of those, apart from two. Even the 2 names that I don't like probably only go as far as eyebrow raisers.

Eta, if you ever plan on living in Byron Bay don't use River lol. It was one of the most common baby names there not too long ago.
    Last edited by atomicmama; 11-01-2013 at 09:26.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I like all of those, apart from two. Even the 2 names that I don't like probably only go as far as eyebrow raisers.
    Yeah I don't think I could actually use kitty, birdie or sailor but I still really like them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Yeah I don't think I could actually use kitty, birdie or sailor but I still really like them!
    I don't mind Sailor, but yes Kitty and Birdie are the two names that I don't like. They still aren't extreme though and you could get away with using them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    What a cutie!

I actually don't associate it with the disease at all. The disease is named as such because the babies resemble harlequin clowns. To me it's similar to using the word "jester" as a name (and spelling it "Jestah"?!)... Not my cup of tea, but not offensive.
    this is exactly how I thought about it too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    My husband does this all the time as his name is a bit unusual, he can't be bothered spelling it out to people at shops so he just says Sam. I had to make a doctors appointment for him the other day and I said his name and then she asked what his first name was I was like umm I already said it haha!
    Haha!!
    My husband is from another country in Europe.
    His real name is.. Well it's a mouthful lol.
    He goes by a common name for most things but for legal things and drs he hates it.
    We had a large check that we needed to bank, but DH's name was spelt wrong, so it was a huge stuff around for months.
    His middle name is also a mouthful and is spelt wrong on our wedding certificate

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    My youngest sons name is also the name of a popular American tv show about a serial killer... (don't like saying my kids names on here but it's pretty obvious if you have heard of the show)

It's actually not an unusual name, just not overly popular in Australia... yet I have been told that it's disgraceful I named my son after a serial killer. .. to which my response is No, I heard the name on a fictional show about a serial killer and I liked it... I see no problem at all.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    I see no problem with it at all. Those people must also have issues with Ted, Ivan, Paul, Peter, David, John etc...

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    My DH's mum intentionally spelled his name Josuha, instead of Joshua...(don't ask me why!) The registry office must have thought it was an unintentional spelling mistake so they 'fixed' it for her, to Joshua, the correct spelling. My DH is forever grateful to that registry office clerk!
    That's funny! My DP is Joshua too but spelt Joschua. Apparently it's a better name numerologically... Funny though now I find it really hard to leave the C out.

Also my DD's have unusual names the first more so than the second, however DP would not budge. It seems her name has never been in the top 2000 names even in America, however it is apparently Zac Efrons mums name lol.
    I worry about people judging her based in her name as it is pretty airy fairy and hippy. I'm secretly hoping she'll change her name to my choice when she's 18.
    Last edited by mummabec; 11-01-2013 at 10:29.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
    Haha!!
    My husband is from another country in Europe.
    His real name is.. Well it's a mouthful lol.
    He goes by a common name for most things but for legal things and drs he hates it.
    We had a large check that we needed to bank, but DH's name was spelt wrong, so it was a huge stuff around for months.
    His middle name is also a mouthful and is spelt wrong on our wedding certificate
    Oh gosh that sounds like a pain!! How did they stuff it up on your marriage certificate though, wouldn't they have had to copy it off the forms? Hopeless!! My maiden name is a very common English name and I still had to spell it out every time and even have to spell my first name out sometimes and it's Lauren which I thought was very common but there must be a different way of spelling it!?