+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    It's true. We spent months agonising over names for DD before settling on Alice.

Do you know what we call her? "The Moo".
    Lol! The moo! It's super cute though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    I do the same thing! I use the name Sam as it is soooo much easier than using my real name...it gets so frustrating when you're waiting for your coffee order to be called out and they're calling out 'Shirley' (not even close to my real name), so you wait and wait, not realising that they were calling your order.

Also when I deal with upset customers at work (part of my job is moderating our facebook page), I don't give my real name as I am the only person in Australia with name and I would be so easy to find. I actually fear for my safety sometimes due to my name...I have actually had a guy stalk me, even after I moved and changed my phone number, because he was able to find my name so easily. I've had to change the privacy on all my social media accounts, so no-one can find me, make sure my numbers are private, etc. Not fun!

I find a psuedonym so much easier to deal with.
    I do this too when ordering things! I just use either Emily, Hannah, Frankie or Charlie! Because listening to the people at boost juice try yell out Annntiiiniikkqquuuaaahh is way too painful to watch!! (not my name)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have what would have been a very unusual name in the 70's, and mum changed the spelling to make it even more unique. I have spent my whole life correcting people when pronouncing it and when spelling it.

DD1 has a very traditional Irish name, spelt like her grandmother. Which is actually quite different to how we would spell it here. She is constantly correcting people.

DS1 has a very traditional Irish name also, though easily spelt, but you got it most people pronounce and spell incorrectly.

DD2 Has a traditional Aboriginal name, that happens to also be the model of a car. We have kept with the aboriginal spelling, but alas everyone spells it like the car. And then when you correct the spelling for them, then they change the way they pronounce it.

DS2 He has a very old welsh name which is also a very popular german name, the german being the most common spelling, so you guessed it the poor boy is going to constantly be correcting the spelling.

I always said after mum's choice in name for me that I would give my kids easy common names that wouldn't confuse anyone, but as you can see it didn't turn out that way at all. Poor kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a fan of attempts to give unique names more often than not the name given is not particularly unique. And yooneek spelling dose not create a unique name, it's just the same name spelt wrong. For me names should be given because you love the name, it's suitable for a person at all life stages and isn't obviously teaseable (think Wayne Kerr).

I have a unusual name (it has an English version but mine is the French spelling and pronunciation) and definitely found it difficult when I was younger, especially as my sister had a very common name. While I love my name now, it's still a pain to have to spell it every time, and for non official things I generally use an alias it's just so much easier.

Naming a child is a big responsibility, it's one of the first things people make a judgement about.

But as this story proves you can overcome a very unfortunate name http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...17.html?ipad=y

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    That's pretty pathetic, it just exposes their ignorance. Oh I'm sorry if you watch so much TV that it's the only association you can make!
    I agree I think it's a great name, I actually haven't heard of anyone using it before. And people love the tv show because he's a great character.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Tinkerbell is cruel yes! Maybe a famous person can pull it off cause they all have weird *** names and need to stand out from each other, but I'd feel cruel giving my kids thos sorts of names. I couldn't even call them by those names I'd feel silly saying it.
    "Tinkerbell come here please" Tink Tinky Bell..... ?????? it's like calling a pet.
    With a name like Tinkerbell, it could be shortened to Belle for professional use.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I'm not a fan of attempts to give unique names more often than not the name given is not particularly unique. And yooneek spelling dose not create a unique name, it's just the same name spelt wrong. For me names should be given because you love the name, it's suitable for a person at all life stages and isn't obviously teaseable (think Wayne Kerr).

But as this story proves you can overcome a very unfortunate name http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...17.html?ipad=y
    I had a teacher who's name is Mark Kerr.... Haha!

I can't believe that her parents called her that. I love that she embraced it and she will never be forgotten!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    I do this too when ordering things! I just use either Emily, Hannah, Frankie or Charlie! Because listening to the people at boost juice try yell out Annntiiiniikkqquuuaaahh is way too painful to watch!! (not my name)
    I do sometimes find it amusing to see what they come up with though lol. Seriously I don't think I speak that unclearly. DP finds it hilarious, fine for him with his common easy to spell name .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I don't get how a negative thread could be started about it >__> oh well.

And I'm not joking about the long stockings, but I think they're more tights haha. I don't want dad calling her pippy though, pip maybe :/
    My daughter, who wore her red hair in two long plaits and often wore tights got called Pippy Longstockings a lot as a child - and her name, beginning with K, is nothing like it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    I never thought of the drink when I heard it before!
    Me either. Midori or tequila yes, but not bailey.

I saw a British teenage pregnancy show once. Her name was Tekilla (or something to that effect)