+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I remember my art teacher telling us that when she went to Africa, several kids were named after random English items... like Ajax (as in the cleaner).

I actually thought that was kind of a cute/cool name. Still do. Wouldn't use it as an Australian, but it still sounds kinda cute.
    I love the name Ajax; it's an Ancient Greek name and when I was looking at Greek names for DS3 we seriously considered it. But it's been ruined for me by the cleaner

However if we get a male puppy it's top of the list!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

DP wants Ajax as a boys middle name...but the cleaner is making it difficult

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by sam4frankie View Post
    In Iceland there is a an approved register of names. You are only allowed to choose a name on the register. If you want to name your child something that isn't on the list, you have to apply for special permission and that can be denied at their discretion. I would hate that! But yes, for the child's sake I think there should be some of filtering system...I actually think there may be in AUS already... I seem to recall something about the name 'Number 16 Bus Shelter' being knocked back... Or something like that...

In my family we have mostly unusual names: Ma'ayan (pronounced may arn, actually a Hebrew name), Ciara (see ara), Shandli, Maella, (may Ella), nicolette, keeva (Irish name, english spelling), Cody (which was unusual at the time). I don't think Amy of these are cruel... Maybe it's just cause I'm used to them?

This us why I want to buck the trend in my family and go with an old fashioned 'real' name.
    I would love to be a member of your family! Those are all beautiful names... and easy to pronounce on reading.

I like names that are easy to pronounce when read, even if they're made up e.g. I might use a name like Danara (this may not be made up, but I can't be bothered googling to find out!)... but I wouldn't use something like uymi if it's supposed to be pronounced Amy... if it was supposed to be pronounced oomi though, then I might use it (again, this name could be real, so hope I don't offend anyone unintentionally!)

Since there are so many different spellings of common names out there now, even people with common names with correct spelling end up having to spell them out.

Personally, I like old real names that are not commonly used at the time. My name is like that & I've only ever met 2 others in my life (I met someone recently who wants to call their DD my name). But my name is not unheard of & relatively easy to spell.

But... maybe some made up names are okay? It is widely considered that J.M. Barrie made up the name Wendy (for a girl anyway) & it became widely used.

Let's hope the same doesn't happen with Renesmee!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Funchu For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

My youngest sons name is also the name of a popular American tv show about a serial killer... (don't like saying my kids names on here but it's pretty obvious if you have heard of the show)

It's actually not an unusual name, just not overly popular in Australia... yet I have been told that it's disgraceful I named my son after a serial killer. .. to which my response is No, I heard the name on a fictional show about a serial killer and I liked it... I see no problem at all.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

butterfly2013  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    My youngest sons name is also the name of a popular American tv show about a serial killer... (don't like saying my kids names on here but it's pretty obvious if you have heard of the show)

It's actually not an unusual name, just not overly popular in Australia... yet I have been told that it's disgraceful I named my son after a serial killer. .. to which my response is No, I heard the name on a fictional show about a serial killer and I liked it... I see no problem at all.

If it's Dexter, I really like that name!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    All I picture is this

Harliquinn
    She's adorable... and that's exactly what I meant, name associations change, especially when the new association is something so appealing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

People who've actually watched the show would know that the character is not just "a serial killer"... it's more complex. I like the name (assuming I have the right show)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

yet I have been told that it's disgraceful I named my son after a serial killer. ..
    That's pretty pathetic, it just exposes their ignorance. Oh I'm sorry if you watch so much TV that it's the only association you can make!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    What a cutie!

I actually don't associate it with the disease at all. The disease is named as such because the babies resemble harlequin clowns. To me it's similar to using the word "jester" as a name (and spelling it "Jestah"?!)... Not my cup of tea, but not offensive.
    Thank you

Exactly the clowns came first

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My brother is Bailey. He wasn't name for the alcohol. I think it's a lovely name.