As are normal names spelt stupid ways.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieBug For This Useful Post:

shellfisch  (18-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Are unusual names cruel?

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Even now that I know, I still see nothing wrong with it. To me it seems kind of silly to get upset about a name just because of a disease but hey, that's a whole other thread isn't it? Lol.
    (That's lighthearted, not calling those who did a moron or anything ^__^)
    Yeah, it is a whole other thread but thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a somewhat unusual name, I lie about my name when on the phone ordering things and even worked on the phone under another name because it saved time spelling it, or repronouncing it to clients. My husband operates under another name as people butcher his name all the time. This is a huge hassle. I used to complain to my dad about my name and he'd say 'well you'll be the only ***** in school, you'll never have to be ***** C', on my first day of high school I met a girl with the same name, she even changed schools when I did and moved to Australia when I did (same city - all coincidental).

DS's name is uncommon in Australia, but is easy to pronounce, doesn't sound like another common name, but if I had used it to be 'unique', I'd be disappointed as I now know 3 other little boys with this name.

Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Yes I do think it is cruel. I have spent my whole pregnancy pondering how her name will sound as a child, as a rhyme (because yes children do get bullied!) and it's making me stay clear from many of the names I do love.

To which I'm nameless
    Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where homer vetos every name based on made up words they rhyme with, then can't find anything that rhymed with Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    I agree with this. It would be hard to take someone seriously if they were your solicitor and their name was Bluebell. I always remember a guy on Big Brother a few years back named Gaelan and the reactions to his name were hilarious but I felt a bit sorry for him as well. Makes me hope that NRL player Nathan Hindmarsh's kids don't grow up to be CEO's or mining magnates - their names are Buster and Rowdy. Rowdy is my DOG'S name lol!!!!
    Gaelan's an awesome name, I don't get it?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I remember my art teacher telling us that when she went to Africa, several kids were named after random English items... like Ajax (as in the cleaner).

I actually thought that was kind of a cute/cool name. Still do. Wouldn't use it as an Australian, but it still sounds kinda cute.
    As is Ajax! I'd use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I don't know Neekie's daughters name but I'm gonna guess, and no one has to say right or wrong, doesn't matter, but I guess Harlequin... And if that's true, well I think it's very pretty
    I shudder every time I hear this name, maybe it's different knowing her IRL as you'd start to associate it with her, but all I can picture is those poor babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Are unusual names cruel?

Uncommon / unusual - fine. Misspelled / really odd - often not fine.

The problem is, everyone draws the line in a different place. There are many names listed in this thread that I do feel are cruel (although none deliberately so) to call a child, but those posters feel they are okay and OTHER names are cruel.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

I think a name can also give an initial impression of a person, however wrong that might be.

If someone got a CV on their desk from someone called Crystal, or Tinkerbell... Well their CV would have to be pretty good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post

I shudder every time I hear this name, maybe it's different knowing her IRL as you'd start to associate it with her, but all I can picture is those poor babies.
    All I picture is this

Harliquinn
    Attached Images

9. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (11-01-2013),BlackDiamond  (12-06-2014),butterfly2013  (11-01-2013),CharlieBug  (11-01-2013),Crazyfamily  (11-01-2013),Funchu  (11-01-2013),GirlsRock  (11-01-2013),Izy  (11-01-2013),jesssalee  (12-06-2014),lones  (11-01-2013),Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2013),MrsLA  (11-01-2013),Mulva  (11-01-2013),onionskin  (11-01-2013),Rach81  (11-01-2013),RainbowSky  (11-01-2013),Renn  (11-01-2013),RipperRita  (14-01-2013),Someones Mummy  (11-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (11-01-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews

What a cutie!

I actually don't associate it with the disease at all. The disease is named as such because the babies resemble harlequin clowns. To me it's similar to using the word "jester" as a name (and spelling it "Jestah"?!)... Not my cup of tea, but not offensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I could never use a made up name but I also wanted something different as so many names brought up various memories of others with those names (I worked in childcare) you get the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to personalities and for various reasons, I was turned off alot of names or the way some sounded.

We found a name for ds in the baby name book we had brought, it was the only one we both agreed on (not kidding, df wanted him called "luke skywalker" ) no..just, no!

We love the meaning of ds's name, it means "little king". For our first born we felt it was fitting.

We get all sorts of comments about how do you spell or pronounce it, and was it made up. We have got a short answer, no it's not, it sounds like "xxxxx" with "x" at the start instead of "x". The one that upsets me is the "did you make it up?" comment - I had not even considered making a child name up!

But in saying this, none had ever said we are cruel, and everyone loves it. it also really suits him!

I do however find names like "princess, tinkerbell, precious" a bit ott. Seriously, they bring up images of cheap hookers on a movie.
    "hi honey, my names precious, I can show you a good time"

Eta: we spelt it exactally as it is in the book.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 11-01-2013 at 07:18.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    It's like my home towns name is a legit native Aboriginal name, but it's also a traditional Japanese name... And if I ever meet a Japanese girl named it I am going to feel so sorry for her as my hometown is horrendously bogan and feral.
    Pretty sure that I know the town you're talking about lol

Generally, the only names that I have an issue with are ones that have outrageous spelling, losing the original name within the 7 extra p & q's, a minor tweak to names I don't mind. I also don't think absolutely ridiculous names should be allowed, not Bluebell or Tinkerbell, but #, La-a, Abcde and anything that is clearly unrealistic.

As much as I don't like sisters called Destiny, Faith & Hope or wouldn't use Holden or Bentley, atleast they are names that the majority will know how to spell (or atleast have a fair idea) and they are somewhat real.