+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week

Default Are unusual names cruel?

So with all the eewneek name threads lately, I've been pondering this question. Is it cruel to give your children weird names? and I don't just mean uncommon ones, but ones spelled silly like Kahlyb in another thread. Or Tinkerbell.

Is tinkerbell really going to be taken seriously in adult life? Or does a name mean nothing and it's how you carry yourself? Is it selfish giving your children really out there names bc you want to be original, or is it a gift for them?

I don't usually start controversial threads lol so hopefully this stays open.....

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Depends on how 'ewwneek' the name is. Some names that seemed out there like Winter and Willow are now the norm...but some names dont catch on so easily and become very unfortunate. Made up spelling is worse than an out there name, IMO.

ETA: I think Jamie Olivers kids names are cruel as a whole.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Depends on how 'ewwneek' the name is. Some names that seemed out there like Winter and Willow are now the norm...but some names dont catch on so easily and become very unfortunate. Made up spelling is worse than an out there name, IMO.

ETA: I think Jamie Olivers kids names are cruel as a whole.
    What are their names? I haven't heard them?

I think made up spelling names are a bit silly and I think it's a bit cruel to give a child a name like to tinkerbell, abcde etc.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    What are their names? I haven't heard them?

I think made up spelling names are a bit silly and I think it's a bit cruel to give a child a name like to tinkerbell, abcde etc.
    Poppy Honey Rosie
    Daisy Boo Pamela
    Petal Blossom Rainbow
    Buddy Bear Maurice.

....really.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-01-2013),Ellewood  (11-01-2013),jagamoe  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think unusual names are necessarily cruel. I think it depends on the individual name.

See, let's look at Apple. Little Apple Martin. I think because her surname is so bland, and her first name is an ACTUAL word, and her parents are celebs, it's not going to be too bad for her. Not like little Pilot Inspektor or Moon Unit Zapper. lol.

I just really think it depends on the name. Anything with superfluous letters is just... well, I don't think cruel necessarily, just idiotic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree with London (particularly the jamie oliver part). I really dislike 'fancy' spelling of names. And I do think parents need to consider the long term implications of eewneek names. A kid with an out-there name os always going to have to work harder to be taken seriously. It might not be fair, but it's a fact.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yes I do think it is cruel. I have spent my whole pregnancy pondering how her name will sound as a child, as a rhyme (because yes children do get bullied!) and it's making me stay clear from many of the names I do love.

To which I'm nameless

Thanks
    Reviews

Poppy honey Rosie Oliver
    Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
    Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
    Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver

I like unusual names, I may not name my children them but I'd prefer an unusual name over a common name any day, if I hear one more Ruby at the park I'll scream! Today I swear there were 5 little girls/babies all called Ruby!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 10-01-2013 at 21:01.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rissy84  (10-01-2013),SugarSkull  (30-07-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Poppy Honey Rosie
    Daisy Boo Pamela
    Petal Blossom Rainbow
    Buddy Bear Maurice.

....really.
    Wow.......................................

I agree about pilot inspektor as well.

Yuck.

Thanks
    Reviews

I get why people want a unique name (I've been told of 3 newborns with the name I'd chosen for my daughter due very soon. Not changing it, though!) but lets think about the child's future - I doubt we'll have a Prime Minister Tinkerbell, for example. Some names could prevent them from being taken seriously, and I bet it'd be frustrating to have to spell your name every time you told someone what it is, if it's a "normal" name with a crazy spelling.