+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with 11 week old sleep

Hi donnab739
    I'm having the exact same problem our babies could be twins!! Same age too. I was using SOS cos everyone swore by it and their babies are awesome. Mine wasn't working, she'd stay up for the two hours but was hard to settle, slept for 30mins, I'd get her up like the book said and wait till her feeding and sleep time which by this time she was overtired and wouldn't settle easy n sleep for 30mins again. I didn't know to look for tired signs (the book didn't say to) as a first time mum n no other advice other then to follow SOS I never knew yawning was put them straight to bed. I got in touch with another friend who went to tresillian n she gave me some advice, like if they wake after a nap don't go into them, leave them to go back to sleep (same as if u just put them to bed) I tried this, for one sleep during the day it worked for two days then yesterday was a no go, she protested till it was time to get up again. During the night she goes to bed at 7, there's always a protest tho from 15mins to over an hour!! I then dream feed her at 10:00 only to have her wake exactly 3 hrs after each feed. It's the exact same times every night on the dot. So wakes at 1:30 back to sleep at 2, wakes at 4 back to sleep at 4:30, then wakes between 6:30 n 7. I'm exhausted!! If I can getter a better sleep at night if be happy. Need to cut out the 1:30 feed but how do I know if she's hungry or just needs to be resettled? She'll always eat if I offer her boob or suck on it for comfort n go back to sleep. She too doesn't have a dummy, won't even suck on it, never has from day one. I tried only cos everyone told me to but it never worked.
    I would love to know how u go and if u work things out, as ill inform u if I find a solution.
    One other thing, when ur bub wakes after 30/40mins do u feed him again straight away or wait to stretch the feeds out?
    Cheers 😴
    Last edited by Stac84; 14-01-2013 at 06:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks rose, logically I know it shouldn't be my supply as I have not had issues before and it would be very random to just start now.

Stac, you poor thing. I atleast get a few solid hours at night. I have the problem though of going back to sleep myself after I've been up with DS. One night last week I was still awake 1.5 hours later and DS had been up for only 30 mins! Stupid brain. And I don't turn lights on when I'm up or do anything other than feed, so very frustrating.

In regards to when I feed after he wakes up after 30 mins. I have done both. I was waiting until he seemed hungry but then he was too tired to feed properly so I went to feeding as soon as he woke up and starting the cycle again but either way didn't make a difference.

So on Saturday I went back to watching for his tired signs after ruling out that it wasn't that I was putting him down too early. So around 1 hour after he woke I put him down for his sleep. He took 15 minutes to go to sleep but never cried really. Just had a few whinges and moved around (I have a video monitor). He then went to sleep for 45 mins. About normal length. I thought great here we go again. He wasn't really crying just whinging so I didn't go in. Decided it took 15 mins to go to sleep the first time so I would wait that long and then go in if he was still fussing.

Now I was previously doing this too but he was fussing more and getting upset so I would have to go in to calm him.

Anyway the 15 mins came and went and he was still awake but wasn't making any noise so I just made myself wait. After 30 mins he was finally asleep. And stayed asleep for another 1 hour 15. I was like awesome but it is just because he is tired from the day before. He won't do it again. Well he did it again the next sleep too. I was completely shocked. But still doubtful he will repeat it again, As I have done all this before.

Unfortunately we were out yesterday so that threw everything out the window. But we will see how we go again today. Dh is at work today so no doubt he will only sleep his 30 mins or so.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thats exactly what my friend said tresillian told her to do, she says u have to do it for a week straight without going out anywhere, first day will be hard next day they will so exhausted from the first day day three your back to where u started but by the end if the week they should have the hang of it. Then u can start going out n have some sort of a life. So it may work for u n ur little man! I'm into day 4 but unfortunately I have to go out today right before sleep time!!
    I have a video monitor too, best money I've ever spent!! I guess we just have to reassure ourselves that it's not like this forever, sleep will come to us again, just hard when your got friends telling u their babies sleep perfectly and I catch up with them for lunch n their hair is washed n brushed, mine hasn't been touched in weeks lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, just wondering how your been going? My bub too has gotten better, we have one long sleep 2-3 hrs and two shorter sleeps, 40min-1hr but nothing has changed at night, still hard to settle at 7 n still the same waking times. I am feeling not as exhausted cos I don't feel I've failed as a mother now we're getting decent sleep during the day!

Thanks
    Reviews

I could have written your original post. My bub does EVERYTHING yours does. She is 16 weeks. I try not to stress about it, my routine is wake, play, feed, sleep. Sometimes I just sit with her in my arms to get a good nap. I know it's not ideal. Also she lasts anywhere from an hour to 3 hours awake, I don't watch the clock I just follow her cues. As soon as she gets tired I wrap her, close the blinds and put on white noise. She settles very quickly then, just won't sleep longer than the naps. She sleeps all night (except for feeds), and wakes from her naps happy so I don't mind. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi stac,

He has been a bit better this week. Has had atleast one sleep of 1.5 hours both yesterday and today and not so grumpy. Has been a lot easier to put to sleep. Have not had to go into settle him once this week for day or night sleep.

Unfortunately his weight gain this week wasn't great again, added with the fussy feeding and my boobs no longer feeling full the MCHN suspect my supply is dropping. I had low iron during pregnancy and when discharged from hospital after having DS so likely I'm not absorbing the iron from the supplements.

So we are off to the doctors tomorrow to request follow up iron test as well as thyroid.

This means now that they have told me if he wakes after a short time but its been 1.5 hours or more since feed to feed him and not try to get him to sleep. Also need to make expressing after feeds more regular to help boost my supply.

Glad you are feeling better. Definately not a failure however I know what you mean. It is hard not to think that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Glad it seems to still be going ok. Have u read the wonder weeks? It's a book that explains what developments babies go through n wen. I've found it be spot on. There's also an app. It was Highly recommended to me by my dr. U can get it in iBook too. It may explain his fussy feeding at the moment.
    Goodluck with everything