+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Atkins Diet? Has anyone done it?

Has anyone done the Atkins diet? If so did you find it good? How much weight did you lose in how long? Thanks ladies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You will hear/read remarkable weight loss stories. The weight loss us rapid and sudden. From what I recollect there are huge potential repracutions with such low carbohydrate and high protein(potentially high fat).Stress on the kidneys springs to mind.
    Such rapid weight loss can cause stretchmarks, loose skin that can only be repaired surgically- it happened to a relative of mine who needed a facelift to fix the saggy skin.
    I notice you are ttc, what you need is a healthy balanced diet with no more than 0.5- 1 kg per week weight loss.
    If you want to put a typical day of eating/drinking in a post and how much you want to/have to loose and I can make some suggestions. I'm not medically qualified but I do have an interest in nutrition and health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure

A typical day of eating drinking for me:
    Dont usually eat anything until lunch time BUT if Im hungry when I wake up I will eat toast with vegemite or boiled eggs, cereal or a smoothie made with low fat milk and frozen berries

Lunch is basically whatever we have, usually a salad and ham sandwich, pasta, baked home made wedges, Salad (whatever is in the house that needs to be eaten basically)

Dinner is usually meat (Steak, chicken or mince) with veggies. Sometimes we have spahetti bolognaise, sometimes chicken tonight and rice, fried rice, enchiladas.

Drinking during the day is usually water. Ocassionally a cup or 2 of pepsi max and sometimes a cup of tea with half a sugar and milk in it.

I am aiming to lose 25kgs as I got diagnosed with PCOS. I did some googling and found that a low carb diet can help with the processing of insulin and Atkins came up so I thought Id ask! (And cos I know that when I do low/no carb diets I lose a lot of weight, usually not quickly though)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have... and initially, it seems fabulous. Okay, so you give up carbs, but you're eating LOTS OF FAT! That seems amazing. CHEESE and BACON are the nectar of the Atkins food gods... you're supposed to eat a bucketload of stuff like that. No lean mean - FATTY meat. Not enough fat? Add oil to fatten it up!

Now, there's the 2-week initial stage, but don't get confused - it's only 2 weeks long if you've got only a smidge to lose. If you want to lose 25kg, you'll be on the Induction Phase for A LONG TIME... and that's super restriction. Under 20g net carbs a day. Basically, 1 slice of wholegrain bread has 35g net carbs... so I mean, the only carbs you'll be allowed to have is those naturally occuring in the allowable veges. You can't just say you'll have 20g of sugar - that's not allowed.

I lasted 6 weeks, lost about 10kg... but bacon gets old. Cheese gets boring. It's strange that me, a previous pasta/bread lover wasn't missing that... I was missing fruit and milk, and I thought to myself, "Why am I doing a diet that says fruit and milk are wrong, but bacon and cheese and oil is great?!" It just seemed odd, and I started wondering what kind of damage it might do long-term.

I went to stage 2 for a while to see if that would help... that allows an inclusion of nuts and berries... but it didn't really help much.

I think perhaps a LOWER carb diet is more sustainable. Cut back drastically... eliminate the potatoes/pasta/rice/bread from your dinner. Maybe have a sandwich on wholegrain or rye or something for lunch... OR have toast/cereal for breakfast... one or the other. 2 pieces of fruit. Just limit carbs, don't eliminate them. Obviously avoid any sugary drinks, avoid any added sugars, lollies, etc. Just avoid that junk, but don't avoid natural sugar (like that found in fruit and milk). That is unsustainable.

Add lean protein to help make you feel fuller. Protein is good for weight loss too... not too much, make sure you're not only eating protein, but instead of a small piece of steak with a side of potatoes and veges, cut out the potatoes and make the steak size larger, for example. Small changes like that will hopefully help, and will still be nice and low-carb... just not NO carb (which is pretty much what Atkins is).

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey starflame.

I changed to a low carb high protein diet (not Atkins) and lost 15kg (10kg in 9 weeks). I did it in hopes of conceiving but turns out we have MFI

I wasn't big to start with, 68kg, but also did cardio for 60min daily.

I have stuck to the diet and my PCOS isn't as bad. My skin has improved ten fold!!!

This is my usual day.

B-Ham and mushrooom Omelette and espresso coffee.

L-Chicken with broccoli or salad

D-lean meat with green veggies

I choose from the following for snacks

Can of tuna
    Cottage cheese on cruskits
    Nuts and youghurt
    Piece of fruit
    Couple of biscuits

I found reducing carbs and sugars easy as I was eating regularly. I allow myself chocy once a week.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did Atkins lost 20 kilos absolutely phenomenal diet when done properly. I'm a huge advocate for it. However once you fall off the wagon it is so hard to prevent future wagon fallings! Only issue I had was that quick and easy meals are almost non existent everything takes time,preparation and planning in advance... But when your committed and see the weight just fall of in a matter of days that outweighs any negatives the first 3days are the hardest with headaches and cravings as your body adjusts

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a fan of low-carb, I don't believe out bodies are designed to consume the massive amounts of grains (breads, cakes, biscuits, pastries etc) and sugar that we do. I'm not very familiar with Atkins specifically but if it doesn't emphasise eating loads of veggies and sticking with as least processed food as possible, I wouldn't do it. I saw a naturopath who recommended only 1 piece of fruit a day, protein with each meal and the rest veggies. So as an example- breakfast 2 eggs, mushrooms, spinach and grilled tomato, snack sml handful of nuts, lunch tuna/chicken salad, snack celery/cucumber/capsicum with hummus, dinner meat and veg/salad. Completely cut out sugar, and any white bread, pasta, rice etc. Cut right back on other carbs inc potato.

Thanks
    Reviews

As others have said it worked for me too. I did it many years ago now, I lost almost 20kgs in about 2-3 months!

It is not a lifestyle I could sustain though, the food made me miserable, took all joy out of going out. Also I became very light headed all the time and tired.

When I stopped and went back to a regular lifestyle I gained it all back plus more! I am now 30kgs heavier than I was before doing Atkins!!!

Be very careful with quick fixes they are often too good to be true!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the info ladies! I think Im going to sit down and work out exactly what works for me to be able to lose the weight. I know when I reduce carbs I do lose a lot of weight, I also know if I cut them out completely that I tend to fall off the wagon and have a huge splurge day and never get back on the wagon. So Im thinking that a healthy balance with carbs more so in the morning and less at night. Pair that up with walking every day and that should do the trick? Also drinking more water and snacking on healthier things!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to starflame For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (13-01-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Atkins Diet? Has anyone done it?

I did atkins and it was great but it's not really for the undisciplined and you can get REALLY sick of protein lol. Works great of you stick to it but I find keeping a track of calories works just as well.