+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 17 weeks sick for a whole week - stomach bug or hyperemesis?

Hi all,

I had morning sickness in the first trimester that was definitely morning sickness, and it went away at 10 weeks. I have felt fine since. I'm now 17 weeks.

Then on Saturday, all of a sudden, I had this wave of nausea and dizziness and nearly fainted. DH had to take me home and since then I have been in bed all day every day, just feeling horrendous, like I'm dying. The nausea is extreme - much worse than the morning sickness that I had. I also feel faint and woozy, like I couldn't walk down the street on my own without wanting to lie down. I have zero appetite and am forcing down a few crackers and fruit for bub.

My ob is away and I spoke with the on-call ob who said it might be food poisoning (but I have no vomiting or diarrhea). Yesterday I was no better so I went to the GP, who was very vague and said it could be "a virus". My blood pressure and pulse were normal and bub's heartbeat is fine. I'm still no better today so I rang the ob again who prescribed maxolon and Zofran and said it might be hyperemesis gravidarum, wait and see.

I am really worried because I'm not getting any better - normally if you have a stomach bug or virus you start feeling better. I am terrified of it being HG as how am I going to go back to work on Monday like this? I can hardly walk from bed to bathroom.

Any ideas? I'm not really convinced by the GP or the ob. Has anyone had a similar experience? DH thinks I have a bug and I'm just taking ages to get better due to being pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

COuld it be low blood pressure? That would cause dizziness, fainting and nausea?

Eta: sorry i read that your BP was normal...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Id say a virus. Or low blood pressure as a a pp mentioned. Or foodpoisoning or gastro. I hope you feel better soon.

Hyperemesis is a continuing nausea and vomiting. It is relentless and lasts for much much longer than a week (i had it for approx 26wks, was in hospital 3times for dehydration and threw up between 10-20times a day).

Thanks
    Reviews

If a bug I think you would vomit?
    Hmm I'm guessing hypermesis, I had it really bad and I never vomited but extreme nausea and was hospitalised also. It came and went thoughout my first pregnancy.
    Sucks

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MrsStewart View Post
    Hi all,

I had morning sickness in the first trimester that was definitely morning sickness, and it went away at 10 weeks. I have felt fine since. I'm now 17 weeks.

Then on Saturday, all of a sudden, I had this wave of nausea and dizziness and nearly fainted. DH had to take me home and since then I have been in bed all day every day, just feeling horrendous, like I'm dying. The nausea is extreme - much worse than the morning sickness that I had. I also feel faint and woozy, like I couldn't walk down the street on my own without wanting to lie down. I have zero appetite and am forcing down a few crackers and fruit for bub.

My ob is away and I spoke with the on-call ob who said it might be food poisoning (but I have no vomiting or diarrhea). Yesterday I was no better so I went to the GP, who was very vague and said it could be "a virus". My blood pressure and pulse were normal and bub's heartbeat is fine. I'm still no better today so I rang the ob again who prescribed maxolon and Zofran and said it might be hyperemesis gravidarum, wait and see.

I am really worried because I'm not getting any better - normally if you have a stomach bug or virus you start feeling better. I am terrified of it being HG as how am I going to go back to work on Monday like this? I can hardly walk from bed to bathroom.

Any ideas? I'm not really convinced by the GP or the ob. Has anyone had a similar experience? DH thinks I have a bug and I'm just taking ages to get better due to being pregnant.
    Does sound like HG to me I've had it twice and it normally progresses like you ms doesn't stopped just gets drastically worse ... Seeing as your preg your immune system is lower so it could be a virus that your body just can cope with to get rid of

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I am still no better so went back to the doctor again and she has done tests to check my liver, kidneys and thyroid, but said she thinks it is HG.

The weird thing is the sudden onset at 17 weeks - I really felt completely fine and healthy, then bang, sick as a dog and have spent every day in bed. It's miserable

I am going to try to get an appointment with my ob this week as I've never felt so sick in my life and am worried about how I'm going to go to work and live my normal life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsStewart View Post
    Thanks ladies, I am still no better so went back to the doctor again and she has done tests to check my liver, kidneys and thyroid, but said she thinks it is HG.

The weird thing is the sudden onset at 17 weeks - I really felt completely fine and healthy, then bang, sick as a dog and have spent every day in bed. It's miserable

I am going to try to get an appointment with my ob this week as I've never felt so sick in my life and am worried about how I'm going to go to work and live my normal life.

Sorry to hear you are no better. I had HG from 6wks on and yes its hard. I had mum looking after DS1 because i couldnt move off the couch without throwing up. I used to go places with a sick bag. Also try to sip water every few minutes so you dont get dehydrated as its a downward spiral. HG is excessive nausea and vomiting in pregnancy so i guess it could start anytime. It usually finishes by 26wks or so ive read, or birth. I hope you feel better soon.