+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Playdate politics

If you are inviting other Mums around for a play date and there will be other mums there, do you tell them who you are also inviting, or just leave it and invite them without saying anything about who else might be coming?

If you are going to play date, do you expect it to just be you and your kids as the only guests if the host hasn't said anything about other kids coming?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mention to the other mums who might be coming. Not because I think they'd mind but that's what I'd like if it were me.

For example, I wouldn't like to turn up for a playdate with a treat for the 2 kids you think would be there and find there's actually 5 and not enough to go around. I just think it's polite.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gizmo For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Depends. If it's someones house then it's their choice who they call. I will friends a heads up about who may be there ESP there is likely to be a clash of personalities.

I will always let my very shy friend know if other ppl are going to be there so she can cancel or leave early if it's to much.

Personally I'm not fussed if I'm the only invitee or one of a crowd.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Playdate politics

I let them know and would like the same in return. There are some people that my friends are also friends with that I would much rather fold my washing than make small talk with... And I hate folding washing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I don't mind but as I usually am the snack provider it's better if I know how many kids will be there so I can bring enough food!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't mind but as I usually am the snack provider it's better if I know how many kids will be there so I can bring enough food!
    I wish we lived closer so you could make snacks for me and my children.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (10-01-2013),LoveHeart  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would always give a heads up if I was hosting, and would expect the same in return. Similar to if I was hosting a dinner party.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

I know not all my friends get along, and some kids don't cope we'll with a crowd, so I would always mention who was coming. Unless I tick it off my mental list and forget to actually do it. Which happens quite a bit these days. I'm a shocker for not bringing snacks to the park and just presuming we shall all go to a cafe and then my 4 year old goes all sad eyes for more organised mother's vegemite sandwiches. Sandwiches are a novelty in our world.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SPC For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought most people would think the same way too, that it is a courtesy to say something. I understand if it was a last minute thing on their behalf and I wouldn't really care, but I was wondering if it isn't the norm anymore because DD1 asked me today who will be at a play date we are going to tomorrow and I told her we don't know yet, but it is at so and so's. It seems to be common here to invite people over and have others with no mention of it. A few weeks ago a Mum asked me around for child free coffee and I thought that would be nice, and I turned up and there were 4 other Mums, which was fine, but I was in the head space that we would talk one on one, not a big chit chat group type thing so I felt out of place for a little bit.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Can I be your friend?