+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Childcare Benefit for Registered Child Care and SAHM

Hi there,

I'm a little confused about whether we're eligible for the Child Care Benefit. I tried calling the Family Assistance Office today but was unable to get through.

We currently receive the FTB A and B. Our eldest is about to start 15hrs of mandatory kinder in a Registered Child Care kinder. I am a SAHM who looks after my other 2 as well and I don't work. My DH works full time and is about to start studying this year.

Does anyone know if we are eligible to claim the Child Care Benefit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    You will get CCB for an approved centre not registered. I've just been thru this. I'm also a SAHM that gets FTB and my son was in pre school this year as well. I didn't get any CCB bc it's a registered centre

So you won't get anything. The good this is that registered is usually cheaper than approved. That's why they don't pay it according to CL, in their words "it's already cheap care".

Full fees here in NSW is about $500 a term for 2 days a week. We get a subsidy from the pre school that is council runned and pay just over $300.

HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

minniemousey  (10-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't know the answer sorry!

But try calling another number for centerlink, and then either once they answer pretend that you didn't know that you've called the wrong area or tell them you can't get through and asked to be transferred to them.

I can NEVER get through on there number! It always says user busy.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to perthmumm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

CCB is means tested though so you might not get anything, or get lesser amounts, depending on your family income. The amounts are all on the website.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on your income. But you wont be able to get the child care rebate until you are meeting these requirements:

paid work or self employment
    paid leave or unpaid parental leave (maximum 12 months)
    setting up a business
    looking for work
    studying or training
    volunteer work

9. The Following User Says Thank You to strawberry apple cheesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    CCB and CCR are different payments, the latter is when both parents are either working or studying

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    CCB and CCR are different payments, the latter is when both parents are either working or studying
    Yep I was aware of that. We're definitely not eligible for the CCR because I'm at home not working or studying. Such a bummer I'm not eligible for the CCB though - we would be financially worse off if I were to put my other 2 in childcare and get a full time job!! My wage wouldn't even pay for all of the childcare!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I manage a preschool and have also managed a childcare centre so I do know the difference between registered care and approved care - I think a lot of people get confused.
    Preschool is classed as registered care and is not eligible for the percentage based child care benefit or the 50% rebate. However just to make things complicated every family who uses registered care is eligible for the minimum rate of childcare benefit to a max of 50 hrs - which equates to around 65 cents an hour or just under $4 a day for a 6 hr day session. You need to keep all of your receipts and take them to a family assistance office to claim.
    If you are on a low income most preschools offer a direct reduced fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    I manage a preschool and have also managed a childcare centre so I do know the difference between registered care and approved care - I think a lot of people get confused.
    Preschool is classed as registered care and is not eligible for the percentage based child care benefit or the 50% rebate. However just to make things complicated every family who uses registered care is eligible for the minimum rate of childcare benefit to a max of 50 hrs - which equates to around 65 cents an hour or just under $4 a day for a 6 hr day session. You need to keep all of your receipts and take them to a family assistance office to claim.
    If you are on a low income most preschools offer a direct reduced fee.
    I did this and spoke to 3 different CL people and they said you can't. If it's registered CC you need to be working or studying to get BOTH CCB and CCR. I even got the form for CCB for registered and it had a section saying you had to fit the criteria of study or work.

I worked in the welfare field for a lot of years and helped clients fill out CL forms and even I found this whole thing completely confusing
    Last edited by delirium; 10-01-2013 at 19:34.