+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Days sleeps

I was wondering how I can tell when my DS is ready to move from 2 day sleeps to just one? What age were your LOs when they did it and what time did they have their one day sleep? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Days sleeps

Dd1 was 14mths and we moved her to one sleep cos the afternoon one was happening later and later ie 3/3.30pm and bedtime was getting pushed back.

So over two weeks every second day I popped her in the pram/car for a short walk/drive fir a short snooze around 10am to tide her till midday. Then early bedtime.

Took about 2wks to move to a midday sleep but we had to avoid napping accidentally in the car/pram in the AM for a good couple of months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Days sleeps

DD went to 1 nap at about 14mo too. She kind of did it herself - I never had set nap times, I just went with her tired signs. She just started staying awake longer before her morning nap and would often just have a 20min power nap in the afternoon. Once she started going down at about 11am she was having a good solid nap of 2-3hrs and just didn't need another one. It did make bedtime more consistent as she was ready for sleep by 7pm at the latest. I did the walk in the pram thing in the afternoon if she was grumpy and she might have a little snooze which would get her through to a normal bedtime.

The transition phase took about a month or so, some days she was extra tired and was rubbing her eyes by 9am so would have 2 naps. Other days she would have a 30min power nap at midday and that's it!

If your bub is fighting naps and not seeming to tire as early in the day, just try one nap for a couple of dats and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS went to 1 day sleep around 11 months. Like a pp, he just kind of did it himself. We never had set naptimes, so his morning nap ended up being later and later as he just wasn't tired.

For the first few weeks I had to put up with a pretty cranky bub in the late afternoons, as he would be ready for another sleep at 4pm, but I would just put him in bed early (like 5:45-6pm). On 1 day sleep he generally goes down between 11am-12pm for 1.5 to 2 hours. Although that varies pretty widely depending on how early he gets up etc. Sometimes he will nap at 10am, sometimes not until 2pm. Bed is always between 6-6.30pm.

Generally you'll know if your LO is ready for 1 sleep as they will fight going down for a morning nap. You might just have to juggle times over a couple of weeks to transition. Also nothing wrong with having a quick powernap in the morning or afternoon if they really need it.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 10-01-2013 at 13:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Days sleeps

DS went to 1 afternoon sleep at about 16 months also , he just wasn't tired in the morning anymore and then just had ( and thankfully still does now at 26 months!) a big afternoon sleep from about 2-4pm - this is why we plan our day to be out all morning /lunch so we can be home by 1.30ish for his sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Days sleeps

About 12 months for both of mine

Thanks
    Reviews
    at 15 months she no longer would sleep in afternoons- cry if placed in cot and wouldn't even settle in pram, car or in my arms, so we moved her morning sleep progressively later from 9.30 to 11am now. She tends to sleep 1.5-3 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    At around 10 months DS's afternoon sleep was getting later and later and I was then having to wake him up for dinner which he was very grumpy about. Just after that he started to walk and got really tired again for a few weeks. Once he was walking well just before his first birthday he just wasn't tired in the afternoons anymore. I did (and still do somedays) need to delay his morning sleep a little as sometimes he is tired at 10am, but I try to put him down closer to 11am so he isn't too tired and grumpy before bed.

There was a transition phase of a few weeks where somedays he did get tired around 4pm, but I offered a small snack which kept him going until dinner time at 5pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS went to one sleep at 6 months. He went down around 11.30 to 12 and slept for 1.5 to 3 hours.

He is now 11 months, and has stretched it out til 2.30 or 3pm, which then makes bedtime later.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Days sleeps

Dd has only just gone to 1 sleep at 17 months.
    I found this link that was helpful for me, it's from a "competitive" baby site, I hope it's ok to post.

Edit, apparently not ok, from the stars. Can understand, but if you want the link, pm me.

http://www.*************.com.au/todd...323-1vogp.html